Keynote Video Discussion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The keynote should be up soon.

Here is the addy http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf06/

It is not up yet but should be shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I wish we could download it completely before viewing.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Well there is something which I find extremely strange and was wondering if anybody knows the answer.

Why is it that we always have problems watching this Keynote?

Why does it get chopped up, or we see only video or only pictures?

Ok my and probaly your first thought it too many people trying to watch the keynote at the same time, but that does not make sense to me.

Because First of all, why does Apple not just add more servers, or just pay a bit more to akamai for 1 week?

(if you don't know what akamai is see here

http://www.akamai.com/index_flash.html

Akamai is basically a company which seels bandwidth and servers to companies on an on demand service. They have thousands of server in dozen of countries on mirror the original homepage so that people can access the website right away near them instead of from the U.S.

i.e. a guy in France gets apple.com from a French Server of Akamai instead of apple.com in the U.S.)

And even if the slow bandwidth of apple is case. This should still not be a problem for quicktime.

e.g. if I have a slow real player file I will just wait for it to load and then play it once it is loaded.

Why can quicktime not do this?

It is really annoying and makes people who are just interested in Apple and use PCs if Quicktime sucks maybe the rest of Apple sucks as much as Microsoft.

Well thanks for reading and thanks for any answers. Smile
  • Reply 3 of 6
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I've never had a problem watching the keynote, fullscreen, and I can even scrub to any point in the timeline without a studder. I'm on comcast cable in california. My guess is your ISP has very high latency.

Quote:

Originally posted by punica888

Well there is something which I find extremely strange and was wondering if anybody knows the answer.

Why is it that we always have problems watching this Keynote?

Why does it get chopped up, or we see only video or only pictures?

Ok my and probaly your first thought it too many people trying to watch the keynote at the same time, but that does not make sense to me.

Because First of all, why does Apple not just add more servers, or just pay a bit more to akamai for 1 week?

(if you don't know what akamai is see here

http://www.akamai.com/index_flash.html

Akamai is basically a company which seels bandwidth and servers to companies on an on demand service. They have thousands of server in dozen of countries on mirror the original homepage so that people can access the website right away near them instead of from the U.S.

i.e. a guy in France gets apple.com from a French Server of Akamai instead of apple.com in the U.S.)

And even if the slow bandwidth of apple is case. This should still not be a problem for quicktime.

e.g. if I have a slow real player file I will just wait for it to load and then play it once it is loaded.

Why can quicktime not do this?

It is really annoying and makes people who are just interested in Apple and use PCs if Quicktime sucks maybe the rest of Apple sucks as much as Microsoft.

Well thanks for reading and thanks for any answers. Smile

• Reply 4 of 6
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    (I don't know why this is in "Current Hardware" but I'll throw a comment in. Maybe the topic will get moved?)

I watched the keynote video last night. Had a few times where it stalled on me, but otherwise very watchable.

Steve didn't seem totally on his game. He coughed a LOT. His energy level seemed to be down.

He sure did spend a bunch of time demonstrating the new iLife features! That segment seemed to drag on and on. And then he didn't demo the new iWork features??? Here, let me play this podcast OVER and OVER for you, but I don't have time to show off iWork? Seemed odd.

And he didn't do any bake-offs of G5 vs Intel Macs or Rosetta vs Intel native apps. That seemed a bit odd.

But, I do think his demos were aimed squarely at the "consumer" audience of MacWorld. "Look how easy it is to share pictures with Grandma". "Look how easy it is to blog." Very much things your average home user needs/wants to do. Compare that with Gates' CES speech where he showed off all that data synching between devices and such; I'm sure folks that earn 100,000+ frequent flyer miles per year were impressed, but I doubt the masses cared.

A very family oriented keynote. Very much about how you - the average shmoe - can use a Mac to create cool stuff with a Mac (oh, and they're a lot faster now).

- Jasen.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    General Discussion, receive thy thread.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Anyone have a link to a .mov download file? I'm on dialup and so I can't watch the streaming version. Too bad Apple doesn't have a file for download for modem users, some of which are also Mac users.