What about Adobe?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Unless I missed it, there was no mention of Adobe's timeline for getting "universalized" apps ready.

For Jobs to make a point of mentioning that PS won't be usable for pros (I can only imagine how bad Illustrator runs) says a lot.

Did I miss something?

Also, why won't FCP, etc. work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Unless I missed it, there was no mention of Adobe's timeline for getting "universalized" apps ready.

They have already announced it. The next version of their apps will be universal binaries. Looking back at Adobe's release schedules, CS3 could be released by the end of this year.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Looking back at Adobe's release schedules, CS3 could be released by the end of this year.

Is it accurate to predict the release date based on their past update schedules? Isn't this a bigger undertaking?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Is it accurate to predict the release date based on their past update schedules? Isn't this a bigger undertaking?

As far as I remember Adobe themselves have stated that 18 months between versions is their regular schedule, and Bruce Chizen also mentioned the late 2006 date AFAIK.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

As far as I remember Adobe themselves have stated that 18 months between versions is their regular schedule, and Bruce Chizen also mentioned the late 2006 date AFAIK.

Yikes. So Photoshop runs like a dog on new Macs until the end of the year? Well, it's not like anyone relies on that application for there living or anything...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It won't be a factor until the Intel Power Macs ship in June/July.

Then the clock starts ticking.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Yikes. So Photoshop runs like a dog on new Macs until the end of the year? Well, it's not like anyone relies on that application for there living or anything...

Photoshop runs great in Rosetta.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    But not appreciably faster. Steve himself made an allusion to that in the keynote. The MacTels are not something to buy if you are looking for faster Photoshop performance.

On another note, Based on Steve's comments once intel goes into the towers they will no longer be PowerMacs. MacTower Pro? Would you like fries with that?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    From Chizen's statements, I get the impression they wouldn't introduce the universal versions sooner than the regular schedule, even if they could.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

From Chizen's statements, I get the impression they wouldn't introduce the universal versions sooner than the regular schedule, even if they could.

That was my understanding as well, although for some reason I was thinking as late as "early 2007," but now I can't find where I read that. At the time, I didn't think much of it as I didn't expect Intel "Power" Macs until then anyway.

I suspect they want to roll compatibility into the next major release so there isn't an issue of what to charge for an upgrade.

Steve's claim that Photoshop runs "acceptably" for "most people" made my blood run cold. This is, after all, the man who used to do bakeoffs to prove that the G4 was faster than the Pentium. If HE's saying professionals won't find it fast enough...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Photoshop runs great in Rosetta.

He said it ran "acceptably" if you only used it occasionally. It was a pretty clear message that it's not ready for full time, professional use.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

He said it ran "acceptably" if you only used it occasionally. It was a pretty clear message that it's not ready for full time, professional use.

I haven'r run into any problems on the Developer Transition Kit, and the new Intel Macs are probably faster than that.

Yes, compared to a Quad G5 it's slow, but some of the filters are just as fast as on my previous Dual 2.5GHz G5 (and some much slower).
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Given that Jobs stated that Apple's pro apps will be universal binaries by March and Microsoft stated the same timeline for Office, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Intel Powermacs (with a new name probably) around the same time. Microsoft also stated that Apple engineers were helping get Office ready and I would assume that they are busy with Adobe as well. Given the complexity and unknowns of changing to new processors I think everyone is hedging their bets by being conservative with their timelines. I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe's apps get updated much sooner than they are willing to state publicly now.

One thing I thought was interesting though was as the end where Jobs showed the old photo of him and Woz, and talked about the 30th anniversary of Apple being on April 1st. The reason he gave for bringing this up yesterday was that he didn't think he would have another chance in front of the assembled crowd before that date. Seems to indicate no big announcements before or shortly after April 1st.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Adobe also announced a few weeks ago they were switching from few huge releases to monthly patches, meaning bugs will get fixed faster.

Perhaps a Universal Binary will be released that way.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Adobe also announced a few weeks ago they were switching from few huge releases to monthly patches, meaning bugs will get fixed faster.

Perhaps a Universal Binary will be released that way.

Adobe had been coding on CS3 for a while now, and I just don't think that they would go back to the CS2 code tree and use many man hours to get those apps into Xcode.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Adobe had been coding on CS3 for a while now, and I just don't think that they would go back to the CS2 code tree and use many man hours to get those apps into Xcode.

Apple won't tell you this, but CodeWarrior does UB too now, which might help.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Apple won't tell you this, but CodeWarrior does UB too now, which might help.

It doesn't matter - it's the going back to old code that I find unlikely, and a recompile wouldn't be enough.

Adobe are using Xcode now btw.

PS: telling people that they can continue to use their CodeWarrior probably isn't very wise since CodeWarrior won't be updated anymore - you have to switch to Xcode anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

It doesn't matter - it's the going back to old code that I find unlikely, and a recompile wouldn't be enough.

Adobe are using Xcode now btw.

PS: telling people that they can continue to use their CodeWarrior probably isn't very wise since CodeWarrior won't be updated anymore - you have to switch to Xcode anyway.

True, it was an odd move by Metrowerks (Freescale?) to say they support UB then say no more versions, but at least it focussed developers on switching to Xcode.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    BUY THEM STRAIGHT OUT!!!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Well for me PS CS runs slick as snot on my new DC G5 2.3. 8)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craiger77

Given that Jobs stated that Apple's pro apps will be universal binaries by March and Microsoft stated the same timeline for Office, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Intel Powermacs (with a new name probably) around the same time. Microsoft also stated that Apple engineers were helping get Office ready and I would assume that they are busy with Adobe as well. Given the complexity and unknowns of changing to new processors I think everyone is hedging their bets by being conservative with their timelines. I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe's apps get updated much sooner than they are willing to state publicly now.

Excellent points. It would be rather foolish to cut yourself off from all the software just when you've really gotten people hooked on macs via iPod etc. I'm trying to juggle a 22" Cinema display with one of my Cubes and a 23" AL display on my PowerBook G4 AL (rev. 1). Unfortunately, I've got my copy of Photosho CS on a iMac G4 20"! My 500 MHz G4^3 suddenly began making ominous hard-drive noises-- no grinding, but some whirring-- and I was thinking about popping a mini underneath it to tide me over to the new world order and drive my excellent display.