What's Next in the MacBook Pro lines?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since we now know that the Macbook Pro ( what a mouthfull ) is a 15 '

and the 17' Macbook Pro should be updated by NAB, Do you guys think the Ibook will stay G4 ( lower the price ), so they can introduce a new line MacBook, using single core? what are your thoughts? My head is spinning with various

price update schemes. When are they using Merom, Conroe, Woodcrest?

Thats really the next generation on the Intel roadmap. It a brand new world

riding with intel. Hot commercial don't you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple will announce

A 17" Merom based laptop for $2999 at WWDC

In March they'll announce Intel Core Solo based iBook and Mac mini.

Sometime in Sept/Oct they'll announce new Powermacs and Xserve.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple will announce

A 17" Merom based laptop for $2999 at WWDC

In March they'll announce Intel Core Solo based iBook and Mac mini.

Sometime in Sept/Oct they'll announce new Powermacs and Xserve.

Seems plausible. What will merom bring us?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    new core, deeper pipeline, 64bit, higher bus speed, and the begin of intel's new .65 chips, so beginning of new line versus yonah which is end of the banias/dothan line of centrino chips.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

new core, deeper pipeline, 64bit, higher bus speed, and the begin of intel's new .65 chips, so beginning of new line versus yonah which is end of the banias/dothan line of centrino chips.

You almost batted 1000 man. Yonah is 65nm and only 65nm.

buckeye think of Merom as the bastard child of Mr Netburst(Today's Pentium 4 architecture) and Banias/Dothan

We should get even better FPU and Intruction Per Clock from some other architectural advances that Intel hasn't divulged yet.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    hmurchison, think well be using merom by the end of the year?, steve said by the end of 06 we should be done, i think so what you say? MacBook Pro=

13'3, 15'4, 17 runing merom; MacBook ( sizes i dont have a clue )= yonah?

sounds good?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I doubt Apple will go with anything but dual-core units, moving into the 'highend" (workstations & servers) with quad-cores when they become available...

Mid-year, with the coming of Merom (aimed at laptop usage, but will be used for iMacs also, like the Yonah is now...), the Yonah Core Duos will move to the MacBook (Regular, not Pro model...) & Mac mini models...

Conroe for the MacTower Pro & Xserves... At least until the Woodcrest units hit...!

Now if Apple could just make a Home Theatre 'slice' to go with the Mac mini, and a Tablet, I would be happy on the consumer front...

Gonna take a snazzy blade server & NetBoot 'thin' clients (no HDD, no Optical; modular unit attaching to back of appropriate-sized Apple Display, adjustable for beefy RAM, CPU(s) & GPU(s)... That way I can run/admin EVERYTHING off of a single disk image, and throw some MAJOR lockdown on client-side 'activities'... And configure the 'thin' clients from corporate business desktop usage to fire-breathing DCC workstation usage...

But what I REALLY want to see is what Steve has for us come April 1, 2006...!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You almost batted 1000 man. Yonah is 65nm and only 65nm.

buckeye think of Merom as the bastard child of Mr Netburst(Today's Pentium 4 architecture) and Banias/Dothan

We should get even better FPU and Intruction Per Clock from some other architectural advances that Intel hasn't divulged yet.

Do you think there is a technical issue (heat?, low chip supply?) that led to the lack of introduction of a full 12, 15, 17inch line today? Or is it:

A: Developers need intel powerbooks to start working on all these universal binaries.

and

B: They just had to get one out there and the 15inch is the flagship.

Or something else.

i'm interested in your thoughts.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

hmurchison, think well be using merom by the end of the year?,

I think they'll put Merom into one high end unit at first and then in 2007 we'll see mainly merom based laptops with Yonah DC at the entry level. Intel has stated that they want as much of their line dual core as possible so I'm not expecting long life for the Intel Core Solo parts other than the entry level.

That was an interesting comment that steve made. That means Apple plans to have even the Xserve transitioned. I'm thinking this means Woodcrest will be available.

Quote:

Do you think there is a technical issue (heat?, low chip supply?) that led to the lack of introduction of a full 12, 15, 17inch line today? Or is it:

I think it's likely supply or support. Perhaps Apple doesn't want too many Intel based computers out there to minimize any unforseen gotchas. I have no doubt that a 17" Macbook is coming and I believe they'll go with a 13.3 or 14.1 Macbook or iBook soon.

They could also be waiting for some of Intel's low voltage cores for the smaller laptops.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The name MacBook Pro suggests to me that there will also be a non-pro machine.

So the consumer laptop will now be called just "MacBook". I guess that means we will will be seeing a single-core processor and polycarbonate case when the MacBook appears.

The single core / dual core difference seems a perfect way to distinguish between the two lines.

Carni
  • Reply 10 of 33
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

A: Developers need intel powerbooks to start working on all these universal binaries.

and

B: They just had to get one out there and the 15inch is the flagship.

Or something else.

i'm interested in your thoughts.

How about:

C: They are shipping the MacBook with a new brighter display (according to their site). Maybe they still haven't got matching 12" and 17" panels which are more rare than a ubiquitous 15" panel.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Well it better have 2 more USB 2.0 ports and 1 more Firewire port.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Well it better have 2 more USB 2.0 ports and 1 more Firewire port.

Don't hold your breath

2 Firewire would be really handy, especially with FW800 gone.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I'm hoping the Macbook Pro (uurg, hate the name) will mature to gain an eSATA port, that would solve the problem of the lost FW800. I'm assuming the 945M motherboard the macbook has didnt support eSATA on the intel sata controller? I also think the speed dump on the DVD burner was because there is no notebook sized sata DL burner available? I guess the 17" version will have the 2.0Ghz or 2.13 ghz Core Duo processor, (the 2.13Ghz is not yet available). I seriously doubt Apple will wait for Conroe before updating the 17", thats still six months away.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    How do you know it's an Intel motherboard?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    sorry I meant Intel chipset, there is only one chipset for the Core Duo processor (yonah) the 945M, it has Sata (obviously) but I believe that there needs to be explict support for eSATA, you cant just stick a connector on the edge of the motherboard and hope it will work. All the PC motherboards with eSATA use a seperate SATA controller for it. I'm just saying it would be a damn good thing to have on a laptop, much faster than FW800, and would appear as an internal drive, connecting at full speed.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

sorry I meant Intel chipset, there is only one chipset for the Core Duo processor (yonah) the 945M, it has Sata (obviously) but I believe that there needs to be explict support for eSATA, you cant just stick a connector on the edge of the motherboard and hope it will work. All the PC motherboards with eSATA use a seperate SATA controller for it. I'm just saying it would be a damn good thing to have on a laptop, much faster than FW800, and would appear as an internal drive, connecting at full speed.

Sounds good. Maybe an ExpressCard/34 can add it (or FW800) at a later date.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

...I believe that there needs to be explict support for eSATA, you cant just stick a connector on the edge of the motherboard and hope it will work. All the PC motherboards with eSATA use a seperate SATA controller for it. I'm just saying it would be a damn good thing to have on a laptop, much faster than FW800, and would appear as an internal drive, connecting at full speed.

That's why eSATA is such a kludge. Hopefully someone will come up with a SAS ExpressCard soon.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    yes I expect we will see an SATA expresscard/34 pretty soon (actually SIIG has announced one but it is not yet available to buy)
  • Reply 19 of 33
    now i am hearing that the merom chip will be use in the update to the imac, since it has basically a portable motherboard, why not conroe? wasnt it suppose to be cooler and less power hungry? while all the others oem will be using conroe, are we gonna be stuck with merom?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

now i am hearing that the merom chip will be use in the update to the imac, since it has basically a portable motherboard, why not conroe? wasnt it suppose to be cooler and less power hungry? while all the others oem will be using conroe, are we gonna be stuck with merom?

The yonah chips that we have today have a TDP of 31 whilst the Conroe will be roughly 65 so it's a bit too hot for iMacs and Macbooks.

I think Apple keeps the Yonah in the iMac for about 18 months and then Merom transitions down the chain where applicable (read feasible cooling requirements)

eSATA Expresscard

NCQ, Port Multipliers, 3Gbps throughput. Expresscard is going to rock when more product gets out.