Powerbook got stolen...boo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Damn this sucks.

So I come home last night to an broken window and no Powerbook in my apartment. Found the contents of a backpack of mine dumped and any kind of small valuable electronic device gone (including my PB). Called the cops, talked to them and the detectives, the whole deal.

Anybody know what I can do now? I didn't have any personal info (bank account #'s, credit card #'s ect) on it, so I'm not worried about that angle. I do have the serial number from the box and sales receipt so there is the slight chance that it might turn up on Craigslist or Ebay.

This totally sucks and it's not even about the stuff as much as it is about that creepy feeling, knowing that someone was in my apartment going through my things. The other sh!tty part are all the photos I had on iPhoto that are now just gone. 2 or 3 years worth of pics of friends and family vanished.

How about the stuff that I've purchased off of iTunes? Anyway to deauthorize that computer and redownload purchases onto a new machine? I had around 30 gig of music in iTunes (most ripped from CDs, but a good portion bought off iTunes as well) that is now gone.

Again...damn this sucks.

So if any of you guys are in the Boston area and some guy tries to sell you a 1.25 15" Powerbook with 1 gig of RAM on a street corner...let me know.

I guess the silver lining is that I now have a no excuse not to upgrade to a MacBook Pro now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    man that SUCKS! I really feel for you.

I recently dropped my 12" Powerbook, and now the whole thing is bent a bit. It works 100%, but it's not the Powerbook I bought!

The drawback of cool designed hardware is that when there's scratches, the whole thing looks like a very beautiful woman with her face smashed. It hurts to see.

So, when it's totally gone, I can imagine you cursed and screamed for [insert week amount here].

Good luck. Hope insurance will allow you to get some of the momey back.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I assume that you don't have contents insurance.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Does anyone know how difficult it is to circumvent OS X's password-protected wake-from-sleep/login? My PB was stolen in August, but I had proper passwords set... I just wonder if there is any way the burglar, or anyone else for that matter, could log into my user space. I feel for you Corkurk; it's a terrible feeling.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks guys. Yeah, that feeling in the pit of my stomach isn't even close to going away. I've got two tabs in Firefox open with craigslist and eBay up. I refresh every hour or so to see if there is anything that looks promising.

Like I said before, it's not the computer as much as it is the stuff ON the computer. I'll miss all of my pictures that are lost and personal recordings on iTunes that I won't be able to get back.

I didn't have insurance on the apartment, only policies on some of my instruments in it. Luckily (since some of those are not replaceable at all) they didn't take anything like that (although the window that they came in was right over a French Horn that's been out of production for about 80 years...no way to every get that back).

Getting renters insurance at this point kinda feels like buying life insurance after your parachute doesn't open but I'll be looking into it anyway.