Penny Arcade lusting over Apple HW? (warning: crude language inside)

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i dont' care what you may think of gabe and tycho.... er, um, jerry and mike... bert and ernie. whatever their names are. they've taken tons of shots at mac users over the years. which makes today's strip all the more delicious:

and say what you will about these guys, an ASSload of gamers read this strip RELIGIOUSLY. an ASSload of a really big person with a really big ASS. this is very very important turning point, folks. this is what steve wanted to happen.

Quote:

Oh My Dear Sweet Lord

It's a little weird to hear the virtues of an Intel processor extolled by Apple, but I am prepared to let bygones be bygones if it means we're talking about some dual core shit and ultimately some modern Goddamn clockspeeds. Let the long war be over! Let a single hardware spec run both operating systems and be done with it.

I'm wondering if it's possible to love my operating system. Is that wrong? I don't love Windows. I like it, and though many people don't like admitting it Windows succeeds because it does everything most people need. It's like the Phillips head. But I don't love the Phillips head, it just happens to turn a lot of screws.

In some bizarre way, I feel like they're taking a step closer to me by utilizing a traditional PC component. I feel like the hand is out and they are saying Tycho, I mean Jerry, whoever the fuck you are, haven't you seen how our windows warp when they are minimized? You can minimize a window, and your video will play in there, only smaller - a small person could watch that tiny screen and be happy. Why can't you be happy, Jerry Tycho?

Come mimimize one of our elastic windows.

Minimize them.

I had a fantasy where I completely segregated work and play onto different pieces of equipment, and this appealed to my left brain immensely. Initially I had typed "my left Brian," and no doubt he too would be pleased by the shift. But it's simply not realistic. A low end Mac for my "writings" and a next-gen system for my amusements simply won't satisfy in aggregate.

I don't get excited when I hear that Dell has announced a "quad SLI" gaming rig, I actually get a little sick, imagining the day when such a thing becomes de rigeur - along with dedicated physics processing and God knows what else. I can do without the mutant, fetish extremes of the hobby. But as frustrating and costly as gaming on the PC is, I can't be without games like Neverwinter Nights 2 and quirky Korean Massives. The independent channels that are now beginning to course with content aren't delivering at full pressure on the Mac or home console. Bioware would be a comfort to me in that cold place, but I can't give up the PC even in protest.

These are all the things I tell myself, and usually they work. They've almost entirely lost their vigor. Don't be surprised if I upload a post via Safari next month.