ilife philosophy

krwkrw
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am a multimedia artist (a pretty shitty one - but one nonetheless

The thing about the ilife suite that i really think is important, is it's potential for opening up the creative process to both the -$$$ young and the +technophobe old.

when i started producing music (we won't go into how long ago that was) it cost a sh*tload to get anything done - studio time, equipment, engineers, musicians etc... now garage band can produce tunes with the quality of a late 80s mid-range studio (though admittedly a good mic is still needed - and basic keyboard skills).

it's a simialar story with the other apps...

for me, it has never been about 'i buy a mac product because of the hardware or design factor (though almost everything they make I would probably want to have sex with if I was a cyborg). For me it is has always been about the software.

I gave my kids an ibook a few years back (and update religiously)... the oldest can all ready produce her own multitracked songs (with a reasonable understanding of how and when to use loops, effects, pans, fades etc). in fact she knows more about music production than her teachers at school (she is 12).

My other child (with a friend of hers) has written, directed and edited a movie (with a good understanding of shot ranges, cutaways, foley usage, musical scoring etc). (she is 10).

They achieved this without any help from me (actually the words 'p*ss off dad we know what we're doing' was a common phrase I had to get used to ;(

It will not be long before consumers will be able to produce quite polished works - with an ibook, a videocam, a midi keyboard and a good mic.

This will lead to two things that I think are quite amazing...

1. it will help destroy elitism amongst artists (both $$$ and intellectually) - levelling the playing field (at least in the production process).

2. it will enable people to focus on the content - which after all is THE most important thing with art, imho.

A creative kid with an ibook is a beautiful thing. Apple has given a jaded old artist hope for a future where the gap between artistic intention and quaility product can be achieved without a production degree or serious $$$.

In my experience any father who wants their kids to grow artistically - an ibook + ilife is a must have.

And besides, your kids will think you're a wicked-phatt dad