Will 10.4.4 with Intel version of OSX go retail?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just wondering if we'll have to wait until the next major release of OSX to get installers that have the Intel version included. Or will the only 10.4.4 for Intel come only on these transitional model's original software discs?

Obviously, right now there are two versions of OSX, but the next major release has to be Intel-only right? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Apple said a year ago that 10.5 will be out for both PPC and Intel. It would be silly of them to ignore all of that potential revenue. I don't know about 10.6... but that is more than 2 years away.

From the noise out of the convention the Intel and PPC builds of 10.4.4 are not unified at this point. Some have been speculating that the bootup sequences are so different that they might never go on the same CD/DVD. But that is still wild speculation.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inslider

Just wondering if we'll have to wait until the next major release of OSX to get installers that have the Intel version included. Or will the only 10.4.4 for Intel come only on these transitional model's original software discs?

The new Macs are not "transitional" models. They are Intel-based Macs--period.

Quote:

Obviously, right now there are two versions of OSX, but the next major release has to be Intel-only right? Any thoughts?

This is par for the course for new Macs. The OS on new Macs is typically models-specific. You can expect these machines to be supported by the next commercial release of MacOS X 10.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

If you can get hold of a Mac OS X 10.4.4 install disc, you'll notice that it's universal.

It does however install some Intel specific files on an Intel Mac and some PowerPC specific files on a PowerPC Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The new Macs are not "transitional" models. They are Intel-based Macs--period.

Yes, I worded my statement incorrectly.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I guess I was just wondering when you'd be able to legally buy a version of OSX with Intel install discs, with the intention of attempting an installation on a non-Apple PC.

What is Apple's legal stance on installing OSX on a PC using a 3rd party hack? Will this be the "we won't support it, but we won't stop it" stance, or will they try to shut down those that create these hacks?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

I guess I was just wondering when you'd be able to legally buy a version of OSX with Intel install discs, with the intention of attempting an installation on a non-Apple PC.

What is Apple's legal stance on installing OSX on a PC using a 3rd party hack? Will this be the "we won't support it, but we won't stop it" stance, or will they try to shut down those that create these hacks?

I would not be surprised in the least if they try to shut them down. Installing os x on non macs will likely hurt stability of the OS giving people a bad experience with OS X (negative marketing) and it takes away from potential hardware sales. There stance about installing windows on macs, however, is we won't support or try to stop.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Well you have to wonder, though. Apple tried to stop the hymn project because it cut into sales of music. OSX hacked to run on a Non-Apple PC may cut in to a few Mac machine sales, but right now there is a sea of Non-Apple PC users that could be potential purchasers of OSX for Intel. We're talking about people that would never buy an Intel-based Mac machines anyway.

I think Apple would be smart to release the hack themselves. One of their engineers could set up a website and pose as a hacker. Apple sits back an watches OSX take over geeks' beige boxes like a virus. This hack could be the OSX trojan horse for the Non-Apple PC. Apple could then pretend to be battling this so-called problem to keep Microsoft happy and providing Office without complaint. I know they have a 5 year agreement, but if they're pissed off, they could instruct the Microsoft Mac Business Unit to make it run like crap. Just thinking out loud here...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

I guess I was just wondering when you'd be able to legally buy a version of OSX with Intel install discs...

• Reply 9 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Well... I'd assume it'll actually be whenever Apple does a refresh of their retail OS X 10.4.x and updates it to 10.4.4 (or greater).

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Well you have to wonder, though. Apple tried to stop the hymn project because it cut into sales of music. OSX hacked to run on a Non-Apple PC may cut in to a few Mac machine sales, but right now there is a sea of Non-Apple PC users that could be potential purchasers of OSX for Intel. We're talking about people that would never buy an Intel-based Mac machines anyway.

I think Apple would be smart to release the hack themselves. One of their engineers could set up a website and pose as a hacker. Apple sits back an watches OSX take over geeks' beige boxes like a virus. This hack could be the OSX trojan horse for the Non-Apple PC. Apple could then pretend to be battling this so-called problem to keep Microsoft happy and providing Office without complaint. I know they have a 5 year agreement, but if they're pissed off, they could instruct the Microsoft Mac Business Unit to make it run like crap. Just thinking out loud here...

Unless your system motherboard has EFI and specific EFI hooks for OS X I doubt you'll get this opportunity to run OS X on non-EFI based motherboards with custom Intel boards.

This helps Apple and helps Intel. Intel has no problems with anyone buying their motherboards for OS X and running say XP or Vista on them, or whatever else will run on that system. But if you think some clone will be authorized to license the specific parts of the board that detect OS X for Intel then I think that would be up to Apple Legal and Apple Engineering to negotiate, along with Intel.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    IMHO, nope. There's no reason for Apple to sell a retail version of Tiger for Intel. They'll wait for Leopard.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maddan

IMHO, nope. There's no reason for Apple to sell a retail version of Tiger for Intel. They'll wait for Leopard.

Precisely. Every Intel Mac released will have Tiger installed, there is simply no point. The only exception would be if you lost or damaged your original install discs and needed to reinstall and Im sure you could work something out for less money anyway.

Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Unless your system motherboard has EFI and specific EFI hooks for OS X I doubt you'll get this opportunity to run OS X on non-EFI based motherboards with custom Intel boards.

This helps Apple and helps Intel. Intel has no problems with anyone buying their motherboards for OS X and running say XP or Vista on them, or whatever else will run on that system. But if you think some clone will be authorized to license the specific parts of the board that detect OS X for Intel then I think that would be up to Apple Legal and Apple Engineering to negotiate, along with Intel.

XP cannot run on a motherboard equiped with EFI, it must have BIOS. Vista will work on either, but until it starts shipping with new PCs, the vast majority of PCs will ship with BIOS.

Can Linux utilize EFI? If not then do any PCs come with an EFI MB?