Anyone notice this about the new iMac yet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Seems when Apple lets Intel help build their machines, it becomes a little harder to intentionally cripple them as well.

From the new iMac spec page..

Support for external display in extended desktop and video mirroring modes

* Digital resolutions up to 1920 x 1200

* Analog resolutions up to 2045 x 1536

Support for external displays AND dual-core processing.. seems like Apple just obsoleted most of the PowerMacs as well.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Seems when Apple lets Intel help build their machines, it becomes a little harder to intentionally cripple them as well.

I don't think this is the reason. It seems to me that Apple just got a lot more aggressive with the iMac lately, a behavior forgotten in the G4 and early G5 days.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't think this is the reason. It seems to me that Apple just got a lot more aggressive with the iMac lately, a behavior forgotten in the G4 and early G5 days.

i hope apple got some aggressiveness left for the 'whatever-they'll-call-the-intel-ibook'...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    isn't the iMac just a vertical MacBook now?

The specint benchmarks are very similar.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    This is going to be hard when the iBook replacement is released

Its MacBook PRO

Untill the iMac got the G5 in them they were always more or less a desktop PowerBook
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Go to here:

http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

And scroll down to the bottom ? entitled "Take In More Pixels". Yeah!!!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by trumptman

From the new iMac spec page..

Support for external display in extended desktop and video mirroring modes

* Digital resolutions up to 1920 x 1200

* Analog resolutions up to 2045 x 1536

Does anyone know if it may now be possible to use the i(ntel)Mac as an external display?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Nope you can run an external display from it but it still has no inputs to work as a monitor. Why would you want to exactly?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Nope you can run an external display from it but it still has no inputs to work as a monitor. Why would you want to exactly?

Researching recently into which external display to get for my ageing TiBook it occured that I might be able use an iMac G5. That way I'd retain the mobile capabilty when needed and have another Mac ? attached to the display, so to speak ? for around the same price as I'd been quoted for the display alone.

Having been categorically advised that this set up was not possible, I forgot the whole thing. Then I noticed that the i(ntel)Mac sports a connector for an external display so I became curious as to whether this might also permit video input from another Mac.

Idle and perverse speculations no doubt but I thought I'd invite comment. Thank you for your reply.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Does this mean that I could buy a new iMac (intel) and run a 23" Apple HD display from it?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Does this mean that I could buy a new iMac (intel) and run a 23" Apple HD display from it?

Yes.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Yes.

Anyone have any experience on this? I take it this is not mirroring, but if it is a full second screen, like running a Cinema Display HD from my Al Book G4, it might have solved my problems! You see, I already have all the hardware-- old Cinema 22" and 15" running from my Cubes, a reasonably new 23" Cinema HD getting rare use when I hook it up to my PB at home or when it was just sitting on my office desk since the G4^3 could not drive it. My wife uses our G4 iMac20" and is addicted to it.

Couldn't bring myself to go PowerMac G5 just because I had two monitors and once used to the large ones I could not see going back to either 17" or 20" iMac, but now if I can hook up the 23" display, I've got all I want and a remote too! I can play those Japanese DVDs on one system and the rest of our collection for our zone (US) on the new set up without skipping a beat!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Go to here:

http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

And scroll down to the bottom ? entitled "Take In More Pixels". Yeah!!!

Thank you for leading me deeper into the iMac description forest Merogingian. Charlemagne Rules!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Now that apple has allowed spanning on consumer models (ibook or whatever will get it too) the defining pro factor for video display is support for dual-link dvi.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CheapFrag

Now that apple has allowed spanning on consumer models (ibook or whatever will get it too) the defining pro factor for video display is support for dual-link dvi.

hurray!

i never thought i'd see the day...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    percypercy Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Anyone have any experience on this? I take it this is not mirroring, but if it is a full second screen, like running a Cinema Display HD from my Al Book G4, it might have solved my problems! You see, I already have all the hardware-- old Cinema 22" and 15" running from my Cubes, a reasonably new 23" Cinema HD getting rare use when I hook it up to my PB at home or when it was just sitting on my office desk since the G4^3 could not drive it. My wife uses our G4 iMac20" and is addicted to it.

I have a 21" CRT hooked up to my Intel iMac with an extended desktop. My CRT is the primary screen and the iMac is secondary. I sure do want a 23" ACD though...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    percypercy Posts: 11member
    I was kinda surprised that the Intel iMac didn't support Dual-DVI. Is the video card not powerful enough? At least on the 20" iMac? Can you even do Dual-DVI through a Mini-DVI port? My biggest complaint about the Intel iMac is that it's basically a vertical MacBook Pro. It uses SO-DIMM's, has a Mini-DVI port. Nobody has PC2-5300 SO-DIMM RAM in stock right now, and I had to fork over another $30 just to get a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter... \
  • Reply 17 of 23
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

probably not!

my guess MacBook (iBook) will support only DVI out

(as of now, it has only VGA out)

MacBook - DVI

MacBook Pro - Dual DVI

iMac - mini DVI - cannot drive 30"

Mac Pro - Best graphic card in the planet with Dual DVI

you see the difference b/n pro and consumer line?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

How about being able to stuff up to 8 gig of ram into the sucker...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Related, I noticed that you can change the screen orientation from landscape to Portrait, which is like the old pivot monitors (I assume only useful with a VESA mount).. Was it always able to do this? I don't remember that on my G5 iMac
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spinnetti

Related, I noticed that you can change the screen orientation from landscape to Portrait, which is like the old pivot monitors (I assume only useful with a VESA mount).. Was it always able to do this? I don't remember that on my G5 iMac

I missed that one Spinnetti. Where is that described? I used to have one of those landscape monitors, back in the IIci days....