Intel vs. Intel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok say they did put an Intel Merom in a Macbook Pro, how much of a difference would it be? Like how much faster is it then the Dual Core Processors? Is it a significant difference, besides the fact that it is one processor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

Ok say they did put an Intel Merom in a Macbook Pro, how much of a difference would it be? Like how much faster is it then the Dual Core Processors? Is it a significant difference, besides the fact that it is one processor?

Umm.. We don't know. There isn't an actual production Merom yet.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Maybe you understand this, but from your post it is not clear. Merom is a dual core chip as well.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    intel says that merom out peforms yonah by 2:1 ..

so its sure something worth the wait for ..
  • Reply 4 of 10
    That depends on how long your willing to wait. People always predict things are coming out from Apple, but Apple has a tendency to defy prediction, and you never get what you predict when you think it'll happen. Then there are a bunch of idiot whiny bastards in here crying that their product wasn't released, and Apple never said they were releasing anything anyway, but for some reason they thought they had some sort of guarantee. I wouldn't wait. The best advice anyone ever gets in here is if you need a computer now - get one. These look pretty damn good right now, and nobody knows when Apple will update the powerbook ---- scratch that... MacBook Pro next.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    thats true onlooker.

i'm ordering my macbook now.

they better not update too soon!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Elixir, just remember that we are talking about intel and the world of x86 chips. they will update in no less than 6 months and apple is gonna have to put those chips in their machines, or else the rest of the pc makers are gonna run circles around apples mac( whatever they all called ) machines.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    one thing is sure, when the entire line moves to 65nm and then 45nm, L2 Cache will be increased there by improving the performance

core duo is first step into 45nm tech

Shanmugam
  • Reply 8 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Core Duo is 65nm

45nm should bring quad core down to an affordable level with nice sized caches

Merom is the bastard child of the Banias/Dothan/Yonah clan and Netburst.

It's likely to have a 4 Issue core (surpasses even today's Pentium 4, Athlon64 and Banias/Dothan chips)

4MB cache should be standard. EM64T 64-bit support. I wouldn't be surprised to see new Intel tech in branch prediction and improvements in cache design. They seem to excel at this stuff.

At any rate I don't expect Merom to be cheap initially. Merom is what Intel cancelled Tejas (Pentium 4 successor) for. Hower I do expect it to be fast...up to %30 faster than a Yonah or Pentium 4 per clock.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    typo i meant 65nm

Yonah already giving good performance for Laptops we have to see what is there for Desktops
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

Elixir, just remember that we are talking about intel and the world of x86 chips. they will update in no less than 6 months and apple is gonna have to put those chips in their machines, or else the rest of the pc makers are gonna run circles around apples mac( whatever they all called ) machines.

Maybe, but the same thing will happen again soon after that. It's an endless cycle of design improvement, and performance upgrades, (that are always a little less than you would have expected - except this one), but what do you do; say your going to buy the next one after every revision, and sit there typing on your Apple IIe from 1986 when 2050 comes around?