iMac Display?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there anyway to use the iMac's display solely as a display because I connect my xbox 360 to my current display because I do not have a HDTV. Could I cnnect my 360 to an iMac and use its display to play? Just a question, maybe a dumb question, but i thought i would ask anyways?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chiguy

Is there anyway to use the iMac's display solely as a display because I connect my xbox 360 to my current display because I do not have a HDTV. Could I cnnect my 360 to an iMac and use its display to play?

As far as I know, there is no easy way to do that. "Easy way" means without major internal modifications, so it is pointless to have an iMac for such use. Unless there is a third party software/hardware combo which I am not aware of.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    You'd need to buy an HD capable video capture device and use it to play through to the iMac's screen the same way you'd watch HD TV on your mac.

Elgato Systems may make such a product, but I'm not sure. I know they make GDTV tuner boxes but I don't know if the capture-only device will work with HD. I assume you're shooting for 720p and not 1080p, right?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

You'd need to buy an HD capable video capture device and use it to play through to the iMac's screen the same way you'd watch HD TV on your mac.

Elgato Systems may make such a product, but I'm not sure. I know they make GDTV tuner boxes but I don't know if the capture-only device will work with HD. I assume you're shooting for 720p and not 1080p, right?

I'm not completely sure but I think that the capture devices have a slight delay when displaying video. So it's okay for TV but not very good for games.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Do you know how EyeTV works? Is it firewire? And does the channel guide work with any cable service, or does it have to be digital, US only?

Their site is really hard to navigate and I can't find it anywhere.