OSX 4.3 Tiger on iMac G3 350SL

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have OSX 4.3 Tiger in the 4CD-ROM disc version. I plan to install it on an iMac G3 350MHz Slot Loading version. It currently has the latest firmware version on it and OS 9.2.2. It has 64mb SDRAM and enough HDD space free for the install.

When I go and put the disc #1 in the drive and click INSTALL, it tells me that it cannot install on my computer.

When I upgrade to the required 256mb of RAM, will it magically decide to install, or is there more I have to do?

I've heard that some people need to use XPOSTFACTO to help install it. Will I have to do that?

Also, will it run really slow (compared to OS 9.2.2) on this computer?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freudian

When I upgrade to the required 256mb of RAM, will it magically decide to install?

Yes.

Quote:

I've heard that some people need to use XPOSTFACTO to help install it. Will I have to do that?

No, you shouldn't need to. Your iMac is listed by Apple as supported.

Quote:

Also, will it run really slow (compared to OS 9.2.2) on this computer?

With only 256 MB RAM, definitely. Anything less than 512 MB will drive you mad. After that, it depends what you are doing and can be quite subjective. For example, the interface will not respond as quickly, and you'll notice a definite slowness relative to OS 9 when resizing windows.

Also, when you first run Tiger, spotlight will automatically index the drive, which will use up processor and hard-drive bandwidth in the process. It'll take up to a few hours to do that. Once it's finished, spotlight dynamically updates the index and you shouldn't notice any performance degradation due to it.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Mr. H:

So what you're saying is, as right now I'm trying to buy some used ram that definitely works in my Mac, I should buy two sticks of 256mb SDRAM instead of just one to add to the 64mb. I'll have 512 instead of 320.

Andrew

Quote:

With only 256 MB RAM, definitely. Anything less than 512 MB will drive you mad. After that, it depends what you are doing and can be quite subjective. For example, the interface will not respond as quickly, and you'll notice a definite slowness relative to OS 9 when resizing windows.

• Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

So what you're saying is, as right now I'm trying to buy some used ram that definitely works in my Mac, I should buy two sticks of 256mb SDRAM instead of just one to add to the 64mb.

Definitely
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I've ordered 2x256mb SDRAM used. They were both being used in another lower-end iMac so I know they're compatible. I'll let you guys know how I make out when I get the RAM installed and try to install OSX4.3 from the 4CD version package.

Thanks for the suggestion to get 512 instead of just 256.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Definitely

• Reply 5 of 21
    I installed the 2x256mb PC133 SDRAM dimms for a total of 512mb on the iMac. It works great with OS 9.2.2.

Magically, after I installed the new RAM and then ran the Install Disc #1 of 4 (cds) OSX4.3 TIGER showed up. It asked me to RESTART for OSX to start installing from a fresh boot.

I selected RESTART on the OSX install screen and here is the error message I got:

An Error occured.

"Startup Disk was unable to select the

install CD as teh startup disk. (-2)"

This MSG came up with a Hand inside a Stop Sign and my only option was "OK" to remove the screen. I tried many times to get it to work but only had the same error message.

What should I do now?

Andrew
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ** UPDATE **

I decided to reboot and hit C so it would boot from CD-ROM. It loaded up OSX installation. I followed the installation to where you CUSTOM SELECT which items to install and read various notes, etc. It looks like it will work.

What I am wondering is...

How do I install OSX and also have OS 9.2.2 available (dual boot)?

It may be really easy but I'm very new to Apple Computers and don't wanna mess my Girlfriend's computer up :P

Andrew

Quote:

I installed the 2x256mb PC133 SDRAM dimms for a total of 512mb on the iMac. It works great with OS 9.2.2.

Magically, after I installed the new RAM and then ran the Install Disc #1 of 4 (cds) OSX4.3 TIGER showed up. It asked me to RESTART for OSX to start installing from a fresh boot.

I selected RESTART on the OSX install screen and here is the error message I got:

An Error occured.

"Startup Disk was unable to select the

install CD as teh startup disk. (-2)"

This MSG came up with a Hand inside a Stop Sign and my only option was "OK" to remove the screen. I tried many times to get it to work but only had the same error message.

What should I do now?

Andrew

• Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

** UPDATE **

I decided to reboot and hit C so it would boot from CD-ROM. It loaded up OSX installation. I followed the installation to where you CUSTOM SELECT which items to install and read various notes, etc. It looks like it will work.

What I am wondering is...

How do I install OSX and also have OS 9.2.2 available (dual boot)?

It may be really easy but I'm very new to Apple Computers and don't wanna mess my Girlfriend's computer up :P

Andrew

Well, i just can say something about "Mac OS X 10.3.xxx" aka "Panther".

If you running 9.2.2 and the system is in a good shape, than

it is pretty safe to install "Panther" beside the 9.2.2 system.

After the "Panther" installation is finished, you will see two systems

on your HD, Panther and 9.2.2. The Mac instead will boot

in Mac OS X by default. Though you can boot into 9.2.2

if neccessary. I tell you later how, if you wish.

During the installation procedere you will be asked to install

"Classic HD drivers" (or something between this line),

check the box to do so. I believe this is neccessary,

in order to boot in "9.2.2" later. If you don't update

"Classic HD drivers", you can always use 9.2.2 in "classic mode"

within Mac OS X". In this case 9.2.2 acts as a Mac OS X app.

I believe that this procedere didn't change with any "Tiger"

installation. Someone prove me wrong, please.

Btw, my indigo iMac G3 350 slotin is running 10.3.9 like a champ.

The interface may feels a little bit slower than 9.2.2, but that's it.

I swear you, after using Mac OS X, say, 2 or 3 days, you can not imagine

that you have used 9.2.2 as a prime OS for years.

PS: The more RAM you do install, the better the experience gets.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    As others have said, you can safely install both OS 9 and OS X on the same disk. You would then use the startup disc control panel in OS 9, and the startup disc preference pane in OS X, to choose the boot-up OS. Addtionally, you can run OS 9 "inside" OS X, at the same time. It can be useful to be able to boot OS 9, though.

If you have an external drive you can back up everything to, you could re-partition your iMac's hard drive. Make one large partition for OS X (make sure it's the first partition), and a small partition (size of OS 9 system and applications + 600 MB) for OS 9. Make sure the "install OS 9 drivers" tick box is checked for all partitions.

Once you've done that, you can install OS X on the large partition, and copy your OS 9 system and apps to the OS 9 partition. Any documents etc that you had can go on the OS X partition. If you do this, you will be able to choose which OS to boot into by holding down the option key at boot time. The nice thing about this is that it does not change the default boot operating system. So you can leave OS X as the default, but whenever you want OS 9, you: reboot, hold down option, choose OS 9, use OS 9, and when done, just reboot and back will come OS X.

Hope that all made sense.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    So what you're telling me is that if I install OSX with my system as-is and keep the Mac file system (no changes) OS9 will be a boot option.

I'll do that.

Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

So what you're telling me is that if I install OSX with my system as-is and keep the MAC file system (no changes) OS9 will be a boot option.

I'll do that.

Thanks.

Yes, but only with "startup disc" control panel/pref. pane. For the "option" key thing to work, OS 9 and OS X have to be on different partitions.

Obviously, to install OS X on the same partition as OS 9 currently is, make sure you don't erase anything. I.e., don't re-format, and (I think) don't do a clean install.

hold on, just going to check something...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

hold on, just going to check something...

Yeah, it looks like the default options in the installer will install OS X "beside" OS 9.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I thought Tiger was only offically supported on a Mac that shipped with a FireWire port according to this support article? The 350MHz iMac didn't.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I thought Tiger was only offically supported on a Mac that shipped with a FireWire port according to this support article? The 350MHz iMac didn't.

Either Apple are contradicting themselves (see table), or you are mistaken about the absence of a firewire port on the 350 MHz iMac, or I am mistaken and the 350 MHz iMac isn't slot loading.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Either Apple are contradicting themselves (see table), or you are mistaken about the absence of a firewire port on the 350 MHz iMac, or I am mistaken and the 350 MHz iMac isn't slot loading.

Yep, looks like Apple are contradicting themselves. The 350 MHz iMac is slot loading, but didn't come with a Firewire port. Since he could boot with the install CD though, I think it should be fine.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

The Slot Loading iMacs only shipped with built in FireWire in the DV (DV SE, DV+, etc) and newer versions, according to this article that list the specifications of the Slot Loading iMacs. These models shipped with G3s at 400MHz or greater.

Edit: Beat me to it.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I'm guessing that all Slot Loading iMacs supported FireWire, but they all didn't ship with a port. So I'm guessing he'll be fine also.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    My iMac G3 350MHz has:

Slot Loading 24x CDROM

2 USB Ports

10/100mbps NIC

56kbps Modem

NO FIREWIRE PORTS

6GB HDD ATA33

512mb PC133 SDRAM (upgraded from 64mb)

Indigo? kinda blue/green colour

I have the standard keyboard and a logitech USB Optical Scroll mouse. I also haev a Toshiba USB Floppy Drive.

While installing from the 4CD version, on disc #1, it gave an error, it had trouble reading from a file on the disc.

OSX 4 TIGER, i tink its 4.3

Any ideas? I'll try again friday night.

Could my cdrom be dirty? It seems to make alot of noise when it reads these cds and others. Should I use a cdrom cleaning disc?

Cheers.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Could my cdrom be dirty? It seems to make alot of noise when it reads these cds and others. Should I use a cdrom cleaning disc?

Sounds like it could be. I assume the disc has no visible defects? If you use a cleaner, make sure it says it is suitable for use in computer drives.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

While installing from the 4CD version, on disc #1, it gave an error, it had trouble reading from a file on the disc.

First, are these CDs original ones, or safety copies

from someone else? (And if so, how did he/you managed the copy?

Just copying the visible content of the Installation CD doesn't work,

because you won't get a bootable, and that might be the problem.)

Are there any visible scratches on the CDs?

What does the error tells you exactly? When does the

error occur? While reading/checking the disk itself (first step

in the entire process), or during the installation itself?

6Gig HD? How much free space is available in real?

You should know, that any installation needs free space

to move files around temporarily. If the Mac OS Installer

finds out, that there might be an issue with free HD space,

than the Installer stops the Installation. Do you have at least 4 GB

free space left for the installation?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ** UPDATE **

1. I burned the 4CDs at 48x and that wasn't working well on the mac (as i found out).

: To fix it, I reburned the discs @ 8x speed. They were flawlessly now.

2. I wiped the 6.5GB HDD and freshly installed OSX4 and then updated to 4.4, etc.

: OSX runs very fast and very nicely. I love it. I have 4gb FREE out of 6.5.

Now I want to install OS9 and update to 9.2.2 so I can run classic programs. I'm not sure how to do this. I will do some research. If you guys know, then let me know as soon as you see this, meanwhile I'll going to search around for answers.