Should I sell my Powerbook for a MacBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is the question. 8 months ago I bought a 15" G4 Powerbook and got it fully loaded apart from only choosing 1GB of RAM. Now that the new MacBooks are out should I sell my PowerBook?

Will everything from now on be coded in universal binary, or will new software just not work on a PPC in a couple of years.

My PowerBook in terms of performance is just fine, but should I spend and extra £300 to upgrade to the new one, or should I wait and spend a little more to upgrade to the second revs, whenever they come out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kashimash

This is the question. 8 months ago I bought a 15" G4 Powerbook and got it fully loaded apart from only choosing 1GB of RAM. Now that the new MacBooks are out should I sell my PowerBook?

Will everything from now on be coded in universal binary, or will new software just not work on a PPC in a couple of years.

My PowerBook in terms of performance is just fine, but should I spend and extra £300 to upgrade to the new one, or should I wait and spend a little more to upgrade to the second revs, whenever they come out?

Personally I will wait for the Merom,the next intel laptop chip generation to do the upgrade. Merom will add something of great value for a laptop : battery autonomy. Currently the life autonomy of the mac book is not that great according to the first reports (Apple did not say anything about it, claiming that at the show they only demonstrated prototypes)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    If what you have suits your current needs, hold on to it and upgrade next year or even later. The change over to Intel is only just beginning, so your current apps will work fine for a while. Remember Apple is actually still selling PPCs in various formats. Also, first generation Apples tend to have growing pains (sometimes rather severe) and I would not want to get caught up in one (I speak from painful and costly experience).