Password Protecting A Folder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have searched everywhere and there is no simple way to password a folder. Someone please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    You can use Disk Utility to create a password-protected encrypted disk image.

When the disk image file is double-clicked, it will prompt for the password and then open into a finder-readable folder. One downside is that you have to specify the maximum capacity of the disk image when you create it: Apple helpfully suggests sizes that will fit on CDs or DVDs, but once a .dmg is "full", the only option is to create another .dmg or to delete files.

Also, the name of the .dmg will be the same as the name of the unencrypted folder, if that's an issue for you.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

You can use Disk Utility to create a password-protected encrypted disk image.

When the disk image file is double-clicked, it will prompt for the password and then open into a finder-readable folder. One downside is that you have to specify the maximum capacity of the disk image when you create it: Apple helpfully suggests sizes that will fit on CDs or DVDs, but once a .dmg is "full", the only option is to create another .dmg or to delete files.

Also, the name of the .dmg will be the same as the name of the unencrypted folder, if that's an issue for you.

And make sure you do not add the password to

the keychain, otherwise the encryption is pretty

futile. cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    The disk image will get it's own trash so you can delete all the files you want, but until you empty the trash you will not free any space.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I don't understand the question - ALL folders are 'password protected' on Mac OS X, in that they all have individual permissions.

If you're trying to prevent another user from accessing a certain folder in your home folder, use Command-I and remove the 'Read' privileges from other users.

If you're trying to protect your files from being snooped if your mac is lost or stolen, then turn on File Vault.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gee4orce

If you're trying to prevent another user from accessing a certain folder in your home folder, use Command-I and remove the 'Read' privileges from other users.

It is not a trivial task to gain access to a particular

folder in your home folder from another user account, anyway.

If you are talking about preventing accessing a particular

folder within the very same user account, than altering the

privileges doesn't make sense at all.

How do you want to prevent the user to use "Command-I", in

order to set the privileges to "R/W" again?

Assuming the user has a clue about setting privileges of course.

• Reply 6 of 7
    You can download the freeware program "Ghost Sphere" which allows you to create invisible and password protected folders or files. The only downside is you have to run the app in order to access the files, but this isn't really a hassle unless you plan on using the files regularly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

You can download the freeware program "Ghost Sphere" which allows you to create invisible and password protected folders or files. The only downside is you have to run the app in order to access the files, but this isn't really a hassle unless you plan on using the files regularly.

gorgeous.