the decapitation of a powerbook.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
a friend of mine found this powerbook g4 really cheap (i mean *really* cheap), the thing was that the screen was trashed pretty bad and was very much useless.

replacing it would probably be too costly, so my friend was thinking of just taking the damn screen off and use the 'slab' as a commodore64-ish office computer...

well, the actual question now would be if this little project is actually doable.

has anyone tried this before? (if so, why didnt it show up on google?)

what would the biggest difficulties be?

what else to think of?

the machine is a powerbook g4 (15") with dvi. (that's all i know for now, but i think it's one of the earlier dvi-powerbooks.)

if you need any more info, i'll try to figure it out.

fwiw, i found this. http://www.macintouch.com/pbg4reader34.html#feb24

is a dvi-pbook to be considered as an 'early tibook'?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    What color is the keyboard? If it is black it is an earlier powerbook.

You can get powerbook screens pretty cheap of ebay, if you are interested.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I did this with a 667 dvi power book and it works fine. I just disconnected the cables and hooked up a monitor, Took me about three months before realized it had a mirroring key on the keyboard- what a dumbass. My son uses it and it is known on the network as ichabod. I just ruined another PB aluminum this time and I am considering doing it again (Don't ask, it is the only way i can get an upgrade.) The only downside other than the obvious one is that the install disks don't support mirror mode so you spend a fair bit of time dragging unseen windows to the visable desktop.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by appleman76

What color is the keyboard? If it is black it is an earlier powerbook.

You can get powerbook screens pretty cheap of ebay, if you are interested.

it's black, but it also has the mirroring key on f7...

(in fact i think its the very same model that taliesin got.)

a new screen and a fresh battery would really bump up the total cost of this little endeavor. (i told you he found it cheap...)

Quote:

I did this with a 667 dvi power book and it works fine. I just disconnected the cables and hooked up a monitor, Took me about three months before realized it had a mirroring key on the keyboard- what a dumbass. My son uses it and it is known on the network as ichabod. I just ruined another PB aluminum this time and I am considering doing it again (Don't ask, it is the only way i can get an upgrade.) The only downside other than the obvious one is that the install disks don't support mirror mode so you spend a fair bit of time dragging unseen windows to the visable desktop.

thanks!

i have this other friend who is a bit familiar with macos x server.

maybe he can help me with some kind of network installation if needed...

edit: silly spellings
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

Took me about three months before realized it had a mirroring key on the keyboard- what a dumbass.