maybe switching to macs...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have been an IBM compatable/M$ user for many years now but have recently see the light - and it's apple coloured!

I have my eye on a PowerMac with dual G4 500Mhz and 512Mb RAM running Tiger 10.4

What is this spec capable of? What will it struggle with? It wont be used for gaming. Smooth MP3 and video playback will be my main concern really, will it manage this (I imagine so) and will it feel sluggish or be fine? I am coming from a P4 1.7Ghz with 512Mb RAM running XP if that helps.

Also, what would be the best way to connect it to my WiFi router, could anyone reccommend a wireless PCI card or do I need an airport card?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    get 1GB of RAM, 512MB won't be enough ... it'll work fine but it'll certainly struggle
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

get 1GB of RAM, 512MB won't be enough ... it'll work fine but it'll certainly struggle

That's a matter of opinion ... It'll run with a mere 256MB. MP3 and video will playback just fine.

Airport card woud be the easiest way... finding a PCI card with OSX drivers could be tricky.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Do you think I would I be better off waiting for a dual 800Mhz (or better)?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Z3roForc3

Do you think I would I be better off waiting for a dual 800Mhz (or better)?

I think you would be better served by getting a Mac Mini.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Because of the processor speed?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Because of cost and speed. Often these old rigs are the same cost, used, as a new Mac Mini, and aren't as capable.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Before I bought my Mac Mini 1.25ghz I used my G3(B&W)tower I has an 350 mhz processor with 256mb ram It ran music and video playback fine. My mac Mini has 512mb of ram and it works amazingly fast. I think 512 is perfectly fine I don't think you would have to upgrade anything.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    OK, I have found someone selling a mini quite cheap but it is the poverty spec one and I need WiFi so, can I either install the airport module myself or use a USB WiFi adaptor? Also is it possible to upgrade the 'combo drive' to a 'super drive' or do the minis' use a special slim optical drive or something?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I don't know if this is right or not, but I think the minis use the same drives as the powerbooks and ibooks, I could be wrong on this info.

You could probley buy an USB Wi/Fi adaptor for it. I have an ibook and I have a Belkin USB adaptor, but the only downside to the Belkin adaptor is that there are no driver written for OS 10.4, they are saying it will be out in the first quater of 2006, and if you do buy one you need to get the 2000 or the 2011 series do not get the 3000 series. This number is on the buttom of the box by the UPC.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Good news - cheers for that, just needed to confirm that you could use a USB WiFi thingy. Might even go and get the mini this weekend
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Thats awesome. You are going to be amazed, its one little powerful computer.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Well, I picked the MacMini up at the weekend - i'm very impressed with it so far, its a fantastic little machine
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by appleman76

Thats awesome. You are going to be amazed, its one little powerful computer.

'Powerful' is not a word I would use for the mini. Sure, it's usable, so long as you don't run more than 2 apps (or be prepared for some serious paging which, with a 4200rpm drive, means lots of beachballs).

It's certainly adequate, if one's uses are moderate. But powerful, it is not. But then, I tend to run 10-15 apps at the same time, so what do I know...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Gene Clean, good point there, but for normal use as a everyday personal machine it works great, sometimes I have photoshop, illustrator, itunes and other apps running at the same time. I seem to never have any problem with slowing down. Then again I do have 200 gb external HD i use for all my files.