OS 9.2.2 iMac G3 - Locking up on iNet Connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OS 9.2.2

iMac G3 350SL 64mb SDRAM/6GB HDD 24xCD

Firmware version : Latest

My machine is locking up either ON connection to the internet through dialup or soon after, usually with IE5.1.7 (newest).

Even from fresh boot, only apps open are finder and MSN Messenger (newest that will run on this 9.2.2).

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freudian

OS 9.2.2

iMac G3 350SL 64mb SDRAM/6GB HDD 24xCD

Firmware version : Latest

My machine is locking up either ON connection to the internet through dialup or soon after, usually with IE5.1.7 (newest).

Even from fresh boot, only apps open are finder and MSN Messenger (newest that will run on this 9.2.2).

Any ideas on how to fix it?

First, try resetting pram. Reboot the iMac, and as soon as you hear the startup tone, hold down command-option(alt)-p-r together, and keep them held down until you've heard the startup tone three more times. You may find that this resets your clock and a couple other things.

Run "disk first aid" which should be in the "utilities" folder in the "applications" folder.

If those things don't help, I learnt a lot about OS 9 and previous by playing with the extensions manager, found in the "control panels" folder. If you've got the time, spend the next couple of hours messing with that (e.g. turning off stuff you think you don't need).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    That didn't help.

I've got the 512mb ram in here now nad so far the cmpter hasn't froze. sorry for th bad spelling this mac keyboard is rathe stiff.

Hopefully its better now.

Cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Even after the 512mb RAM upgrade, the PC still locked up from time to time on OS 9.2.2. OSX is installed now and hopefuly when that's dialed into the internet it won't lock up. Im using it right now on my ADSL connection through my router, so won't know if it will lock up until it's at my girlfriends house on her dialup account.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Quote:

Originally posted by Freudian

That didn't help.

I've got the 512mb ram in here now nad so far the cmpter hasn't froze. sorry for th bad spelling this mac keyboard is rathe stiff.

Hopefully its better now.

Cheers.