AppleWorks freezes on typing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi - I have been having problems with the following programs:

-Microsoft Word

-AppleWorks 6

-Onyx

Microsoft Word - Whenever I open a file, or create a new one, MSWord quits unexpectidly...

AppleWorks - I can open files and read them, but when I try to type in them, it quits on typing...

Onyx - Requires password, but then nothing happens - the screen never shows up for maintanence/logs...etc

AND - I tried to run the disk first aid, but the finder quit, and the spinning wheel of death occurred!!

I'm running 10.4.4 - 800MHz G4, 512RAM - I've NEVER had a problem with this machine since I've had it...why now when I need to type a paper!!!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by cuencap

Hi - I have been having problems with the following programs:

-Microsoft Word

-AppleWorks 6

-Onyx

Microsoft Word - Whenever I open a file, or create a new one, MSWord quits unexpectidly...

AppleWorks - I can open files and read them, but when I try to type in them, it quits on typing...

Onyx - Requires password, but then nothing happens - the screen never shows up for maintanence/logs...etc

AND - I tried to run the disk first aid, but the finder quit, and the spinning wheel of death occurred!!

I'm running 10.4.4 - 800MHz G4, 512RAM - I've NEVER had a problem with this machine since I've had it...why now when I need to type a paper!!!?

Strange indeed ... I'm assuming non of this happened until you updated to 10.4.4??? That's okay ... I'll see if I can help you out a little bit.

First off - OnyX has a new version out, posted on 1-16-06. (Version 1.6.2) You might try downloading that and seeing if it will run on your G4.

Second - for Microsoft Word, search your ~/library/preferences directory (~ = User Name) for a file called com.microsoft.Word.plist and drag it from that folder to the desktop. If that still doesn't work, try running MS AutoUpdate and get the latest version of Word. (I'm assuming you're running MS Office 2004, if you're running Office X, you need to check with Microsoft and see if it is still supported on 10.4.4) I know for MSO 2K4 there is a service pack update that has been released.

For AppleWorks, in the same preferences folder you were just in, there is an AppleWorks folder ... drag that folder to the desktop and try to open and type.

You might also try doing a permissions repair and then logging out and logging in after you drag those files to the desktop.

Good luck ... let us know how it goes for you...

Chris