How to download and open/mount software?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Stupid question that I can't seem to figure out. After downloading something, say from version tracker and the .sit file is on desktop . . . I go to click and open and text edit tries to open it. This gives me a screen with a bunch of code, and no nothing mounts. How do I change that? I never had that happen when in panther. Thanks for answering what is probably a super simple issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Stupid question that I can't seem to figure out. After downloading something, say from version tracker and the .sit file is on desktop . . . I go to click and open and text edit tries to open it. This gives me a screen with a bunch of code, and no nothing mounts. How do I change that? I never had that happen when in panther. Thanks for answering what is probably a super simple issue.

Select the file then "Open with" from the file menu and select Stuffit to open it. Then check Stuffit's prefs. Still seems strange it would default to TextEdit. I've seen it happen but can't remember the circumstances. Corrupt file possibly. Maybe you need to update Stuffit.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I will try this. Stuffit I have is the latest version, just downloaded it a few days ago, since it did not come with tiger.