Powerbook Phase-Out ETA

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What's are the prevailing predictions of how long Apple will continue selling the PowerBook? Summer? Fall? Anyone remember how long they kept the G4 PowerMacs available after the release of the G5?

My plan was to replace my 3+year old Tibook with the current 15" model at the end of the year, but I'd have to put that off if my only option is the Macbook. I've got a number of software titles that I either haven't upgraded in a version or two (which will add me another 500-1000 bucks in software on top of the price of the notebook) or were discontinued and if they don't work on the new Macbooks, I'd be in trouble. I've also just ordered a USB 2 cardbus for my Tibook since one of my existing two USB ports just went bust, and it would be nice to have those two extra ports on my next laptop. Since I don't need much extra power and the hard drive options are the same, I'd like to stick with the PowerPC models for now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Alex.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    As far as I know, the current PowerBook G4 (15-inch model), will only be sold until current stocks are depleted. Buy quickly :-)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Yeah, 15" PowerBooks are only being sold until inventory runs out, and then they're gone forever.

Steve has said that the MacBook Pro line is replacing the PowerBook line, so when 12" and 17" versions of MacBook Pro come out, the PowerBook versions will be sold until they run out of inventory of those.

It's rumored Steve wanted to launch 12" and 17" MacBook Pros at MWSF, but Intel ran short of chips so they had to pull them out at the last minute. I'd say they're going to be here by March.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Well, crap.

Thanks guys.

Alex.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Apple has some good prices on G4 laptops in their refurbished section. 15" models start around US $1,400. Or you could look for a used machine to get an even better deal. After all, Apple certainly won't be updating the G4 laptops anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Apple has some good prices on G4 laptops in their refurbished section. 15" models start around US $1,400. Or you could look for a used machine to get an even better deal. After all, Apple certainly won't be updating the G4 laptops anymore.

what exactly do they do to them to make them refurbished? what are the differences?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

what exactly do they do to them to make them refurbished? what are the differences?

Refurbished models are used models that have been cleaned up so they are like new.

They're cheaper because, well, they're used. And they may not be the most up-to-date model.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Well, if you follow the strict meaning of refurbished, a product was found at the factory that didn't pass QA. Money was spent to repair the product so it would function. Following the strict meaning of refurbished, the defect was found and repaired before the product ever left the factory for the first time.

I don't know if Apple follows the strict meaning of refurbished though. The important thing is all Apple refurbished products carry the same warranty as new products and you can buy AppleCare for refurbished products as well.