imac g5 system board

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
alright i was wondering if anyone had a link to see the inside of the imacG5isight.i am wonder how the built in memory is. cause many i want 2gigs but a stick cost like 300, it would be better to get two 1gig sticks. but i am just wonder. so main is there photos of the imac G5 isight system board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    There is only one available DIMM slot, the original 512MB is soldered to the motherboard, as pointed out in this article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302506

Here is a small picture of the motherboard but the slot is covered up by website's letters: http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawar...t/DSC_2239.jpg

Same goes for the new Core Duo Intel iMacs. I liked the original iMac G5 design better. Two RAM slots, easy to access the innars. Now it's a real pain.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    There is only one RAM slot in the new iMacs, but it is easy to access. In fact, it's very easy to access, much more so than any other iMac I've handled, which is every model aside from the iMac G4s. I have no idea about the G4s.

All you have to do is undo two screws, pull two looped tabs out, and stick the RAM in. I own one, and I found it very easy to upgrade the RAM on.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    yeah i notice that but wasn't sure, and i agree the older imac were nicer for adding memory. but the new or certian ones is easier to access. thanks. also can a ddr 667 will work good on the imacG5(sight) cause i am not sure what to get

1gig ddr533 $100

2gig ddr533 $ 200

1gig ddr667 $100

@newegg.com

and will a heatsink fit in it ????
  • Reply 4 of 7
    any memory with a heatsink/spreader WILL NOT work.

i tried it and i had to send the memory back.

you can find a 2 gig stick from OWC for 259.00

i just intalled it on my g5 and it works great!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    but can i install ddr667 and run that way or will i turn it down to the 533. anyone knows
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rise Above

yeah i notice that but wasn't sure, and i agree the older imac were nicer for adding memory. but the new or certian ones is easier to access. thanks. also can a ddr 667 will work good on the imacG5(sight) cause i am not sure what to get

1gig ddr533 $100

2gig ddr533 $ 200

1gig ddr667 $100

@newegg.com

and will a heatsink fit in it ????

1 GB is less than that at OWC and it works great.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rise Above

but can i install ddr667 and run that way or will i turn it down to the 533. anyone knows

You can install DDR 667 in it but it will only run at 533.