Question about The new mac line

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey I was going to buy a PowerMac a couple months ago but my loan money still hasn?t come in yet. It should be here around the end of February. I?m thinking of waiting till April 1st to see if there are any cool releases for the anniversary but I wanted to know if anyone tested these programs on the new 20 inch iMac.

Macromedia Studio 8

-Dreamweaver 8

-Flash 8

Adobe Creative Studio 2

- Photoshop CS2

- ImageReady CS2

- Illustrator CS2

Maya 7.0

I haven?t learned Maya yet but I'm going to buy some tutorial books about it in the next few days.

And anyone know how much of a difference one of these iMacs will be from my current system

My Current System

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

1.5 GB ddr pc3200

Micro$oft Windows Xp Pro

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    NONE of the programs you listed is currently shipping in Universal Binary form.

They will run under Rosetta emulation on the Core Duo Mactels with a substantial performance hit, if they run at all.

Wait.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Yup. Hold your horses. They will be universal someday, but not in the next few months.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Yea im getting the money soon and its burning a hole in the pocket already. I really need a new rig cause this one is getting kind of old almost 4 or 5 years now. Any Idea on how long of a wait for the universals for these? And how much of a performance hit do they take?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Get a Power Mac
  • Reply 5 of 8
    To answer your question about speed, the Mac will smoke the PC. I am, oddly enough, learning Maya and use 3Ghz P4s at school. My 867mhz Powerbook blows them out of the water for responsiveness. The Core Duo macs are apparently the fastest, most responsive macs ever.

Windows XP is the bottleneck for PCs. Context switching is unbelievably slow. Simply opening up a link in a new window in Explorer takes several seconds. These PCs have 2GB ram, my PB has 1GB.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    wow thats good to know, do you think its the ppc that makes maya run better or just the mac os, even if i get the one of the new iMacs i will see a big diffrence in performance from what i have now right?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Any idea on the release date on some of the next revisions and the new iBook and PowerMac.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew266

Any idea on the release date on some of the next revisions and the new iBook and PowerMac.

The iBook will probably have the Yonah single core chip, which isn't due from intel until mid-year.

Ditto with the PowerMac, though it isn't officially known if it will get Conroe or Merom or what, likely Dual/Quad.

Steve said "See You Soon", but the roadmap puts those chips as much as July away.

Never know with suppliers and testing cycles...