Apple vs PC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Initially a PC person, I have had the opportunity to work on a Mac at my job for two years now, and I've gotten very comfortable with it. I'm now in need of a laptop, and though my home computers are PCs, I'm looking at a Powerbook G4 as my new purchase.

This will be used mostly for school and business...I'm looking to get Office (business version); my applications are mostly for writing, Quickbooks Pro and general work stuff, presentations and some music. I also like the CD/DVD play and burn capabilities.

I'm not a techie at all, but I wanted to check in with long-time Mac fans to see what your opinions are...since the G4 is a more expensive purchase (especially with the Office software), why would it be (or not) the superior purchase? Is it compatable with an HP (Deskjet 612c, if anyone's curious) printer, or do I need to buy something more compatable? Is there software available that can help my Mac files be readable on my PC (with Windows XP), or should I just give my PC to my hubby and use my laptop for everything?

All other comments/advice would be wonderful!

Many thanks for everyone's help,

NewMacFan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Yay! New switchers are always good.

Welcome to the light side... xP

I don't know if a PowerBook will be best for you in the long run. If you didn't know, Apple is switching their Mac line to include Intel processors, and the PowerBook G4 is one of the first lines that's going to be switched.

The MacBook Pro is a good line to look at, considering it's at the same price level as the PowerBook (1.63 GHz 15" MBP Core Duo to 1.67 GHZ 15" PB G4). It's a lot faster than the PowerBook G4 too. The Intel-native applications of the ones you're going to use will come out in coming months. If you happen to have or know someone who has a PowerPC version, it will run just fine under Rosetta.

The printer SHOULD work with no problem, as Mac OS X includes many device drivers like Windows XP (actually, Mac OS X includes more for plug-and-play). In the small chance it doesn't, HP most likely has a driver for it.

(Edit: I took a look on HP's website, and unfortunately HP does not have a driver for your printer. It's likely, though, that Apple included a generic printer driver in Mac OS X that will be compatible. HP would have a driver that works with it if Mac OS X didn't.)

Mac OS X includes support for many of the files Windows XP uses. (.doc files, .txt files, .ppt even and other files) I don't know what kinds of files you work with, but most likely Mac OS X supports them. (If it doesn't, there are programs that are available.)
  • Reply 2 of 20
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    office appls like word run incredibly fast on the new intels even though they are being emulated for right now.

there is ZERO gain for you to get a PB g4 at this point.

macbook pro, or wait for the new ibooks

welcome to enlightenment
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Thanks, Elixir and thegreatluke! I'll check out MacBook Pro!

NewMacFan
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I am thinking about getting a MacBook Pro as well, but have not decided yet. I might wait another month or two.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Here's what I'm looking at:

Part Number: Z0CM

\tProduct Name: MacBook Pro - 1.67GHz Intel Core Duo

\tOptions:

\t 065-6107 2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs

\t 065-6098 100GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

\t 065-6096 SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

\t 065-6120 ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - 128MB GDDR3

\t 065-6292 iWork '06 preinstalled

\t 065-6103 Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

\t 065-6102 AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Also planning on getting software for Student/Teacher edition of Microsoft Office for Mac and Tiger, as well.

Any red flags? I've been researching so much that my head's a bit jellified....
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I am thinking about getting a MacBook Pro as well, but have not decided yet. I might wait another month or two.

viewing it as jan is already over i'm guessing you'll wait till april? might as well wait it out and see what the new ibooks will bring.

unless you need the power of the macbook pro line
  • Reply 7 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Good choice on the 1.67 versus the 1.83. There is no human-perceptible difference.

Yeah - us longtime Mac buyers always get the minimum RAM from Apple and install our own third-party RAM. Apple charges too much.

Crucial or OWC are good choices to order your RAM. If you want 2 1GB sticks and the MBP comes with 512, then you sell the 512 on eBay.

Go here http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...utingpage.html to see the educational prices. The 1.67 gHz is $200 off - $1799
  • Reply 8 of 20
    i would say to wait for the MacBookPro. i say this because the softwares are new and may have bugs at first. plus this is a way to early debut for the intel for the mac. i say this because it was not to long for the last realse. wait to get the macbookpro in like three months. because companys have to debut the conversion.

but memory, just get it from newegg. ebay it trick sometimes. then try playing around with iworks it is very good. has more nicer features then office.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by NewMacFan

Part Number: Z0CM

\tProduct Name: MacBook Pro - 1.67GHz Intel Core Duo

\tOptions:

\t 065-6107 2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs

\t 065-6098 100GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

\t 065-6096 SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

\t 065-6120 ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - 128MB GDDR3

\t 065-6292 iWork '06 preinstalled

\t 065-6103 Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

\t 065-6102 AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Also planning on getting software for Student/Teacher edition of Microsoft Office for Mac and Tiger, as well.

Looks good! I would go with the 2GB RAM, if you actually need it. IMO, it's easier (and probably cheaper) to have extra RAM put in at time of order rather than having it put in by an Apple technician or yourself later. (People have said that the PowerBook is notoriously hard to upgrade things with, so I imagine the MacBook Pro is similar.) Apple's RAM is also very high-quality RAM.

Actually, I noticed you said you're ordering Tiger. Tiger comes pre-installed on all new Macs ordered from the Apple Store, so you don't need to buy it seperately.

Are you a teacher/school employee? Apple gives a discount (very nice... $200 off MBP) for teachers, school employees and computer purchasers, and college students. You can get to it through the Education discount on the main Apple Store page.

I ordered my MacBook Pro about three hours after it was announced. Apple's going to start shipping MBP's on February 7th, and due to waiting just three hours my MBP is shipping on the 15th. And mine is standard configuration. If I were you I'd expect start of March.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    the 15th? thats bull.

u ordred it 3 hours after? there is NO way that many people ordered to put them on backorder for a month.

thats just dumb, unless the stores will be getting them right away in which it wouldve been stupid for us to preorder in the first place.

i placed my order on the 18th
  • Reply 11 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

Looks good! I would go with the 2GB RAM, if you actually need it. IMO, it's easier (and probably cheaper) to have extra RAM put in at time of order rather than having it put in by an Apple technician or yourself later. (People have said that the PowerBook is notoriously hard to upgrade things with, so I imagine the MacBook Pro is similar.) Apple's RAM is also very high-quality RAM.

Noooooooo......

You can by a 1GB stick of MBP compatible (5300 DDR2) ram for around $125, so figure $250 for your 2GB config. Apple charges $500 for same, and where I come from $250 is well worth the effort to access the ram slots, which actually isn't very hard at all.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NewMacFan

*snip*

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by that sentence, but I'll specify anyway just in case. You don't need to buy Tiger seperately. It'll be the pre-installed operating system if you buy a new Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

the 15th? thats bull.

u ordred it 3 hours after? there is NO way that many people ordered to put them on backorder for a month.

thats just dumb, unless the stores will be getting them right away in which it wouldve been stupid for us to preorder in the first place.

i placed my order on the 18th

I'm not lying.

Apple is actually going to start shipping the very first MBP's on February 7th. So that means that waiting three hours postponed my MBP from shipping for eight days, not a month.

Remember that there are thousands of people who stream the MacWorld keynote with their credit cards in their hands.

Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Noooooooo......

You can by a 1GB stick of MBP compatible (5300 DDR2) ram for around $125, so figure $250 for your 2GB config. Apple charges $500 for same, and where I come from $250 is well worth the effort to access the ram slots, which actually isn't very hard at all.

She'd also void her warranty by doing that. I don't know the Genius Bar prices, but having RAM installed would probably be more than $250. I'm saying if she needs it she should get it preinstalled because a)She needs it, not worth waiting, b)It wouldn't void her warranty and c)Apple RAM is high-quality RAM and there can be problems with third-party RAM.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Negative. Installing RAM does not void the warranty unless you damage something doing it. Apple old-timers never order more than the minimum RAM on any computer.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Negative. Installing RAM does not void the warranty unless you damage something doing it. Apple old-timers never order more than the minimum RAM on any computer.

Oh, really?

I thought that was only the case on the iSight iMacs, PowerMac and Mac mini.

Thanks!

That's actually very good news because I ordered my MBP with 512 MB RAM and want to upgrade it to at least 1.5 GB... though I hope it's easy to take the MBP apart.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

Oh, really?

I thought that was only the case on the iSight iMacs, PowerMac and Mac mini.

Thanks!

That's actually very good news because I ordered my MBP with 512 MB RAM and want to upgrade it to at least 1.5 GB... though I hope it's easy to take the MBP apart.

There might be some documentation on the Apple Support pages.

Historically, you did not have to do much more than lift up the keyboard and remove a couple of tiny screws to install RAM in an Apple notebook.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    To install memory on the PB there is a small door on the bottom of the computer held with 4 screws. Easy peasy. But on the MBP that opening is not there, I don't think, and may be accessable via the battery slot.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I would consider getting a single 1GB SODIMM preinstalled, then getting another one from Crucial, rather than getting 512MB and getting 2 GB. Two reasons:

2) You get the pleasure of upgrading later, knowing why you actually need the extra gig--or, if you don't need it, you don't have to buy it.

1) While I'm sure that installing your own RAM doesn't void the warranty, the RAM itself won't be covered by warranty. Which means that if your laptop starts having problems and you take it in, they could say, "We can't help you--it might be the memory." (I've had this kind of problem in the past, though not with Apple) If you have 1 GB of original memory, you can just take the extra gig out of there, and presto--original machine.

This is probably what I'm doing when I buy a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

There might be some documentation on the Apple Support pages.

Historically, you did not have to do much more than lift up the keyboard and remove a couple of tiny screws to install RAM in an Apple notebook.

Well, those were the iBooks. The PowerBooks were a bit more complicated.

According to Geniuses, the PowerBook G4's are a pain in the ass to take apart, if the person needs a hard drive, disc or whatever upgrade. (RAM does not need the PB to be taken apart.) Apparently the iBooks are much more elegant inside.

I really hope the MBP is easy to upgrade RAM with - though Apple has obviously tried its best to make RAM upgrades easy peasy, it seems like the Intel Macs aren't too elegant inside.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Re: third party ram leads to problems.

Buy from Crucial, or Other World Computing, or one a few other tried and true dealers and you'll be fine. The good vendors test their stuff in the machine it is targeted for and guarantee it.

It's not like Apple has a secret stash of "high quality" ram that isn't available at retail, you just have to be smart about where you shop.