How to create PDF files on a Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

Is there any app native to, or built into OSX that allows for creating PDF files?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    *Any* application that can print can create PDFs in OS X. Write what you want to write in any application that can print (TextEdit, Word, Pages, NeoOffice, etc) and choose: File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF.

Even Safari can do it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    That was the answer I was looking for. So Thank You to Gene Clean the Lean Mean Answering Machine.

Cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If, however, you want to create PDFs with full thumbnails, Bookmarks, links, and the extra doodads that Adobe offers from their commercial versions, you'll need a copy of Acrobat Pro or Distiller.

If all you want is basic documents in PDF form, the OS does it already, as noted.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

If, however, you want to create PDFs with full thumbnails, Bookmarks, links, and the extra doodads that Adobe offers from their commercial versions, you'll need a copy of Acrobat Pro or Distiller.

If all you want is basic documents in PDF form, the OS does it already, as noted.

But I've heard that Acrobat Pro does not support automatic bookmark creation as it does for the Windows version. Some say Adobe didn't implement it, others say it's due to the limited macro abilities in Word for Mac.

I have tried the (long and hard and lot's of work) alternative of using the ExtendedPDF Macro with Neo Office. It works but I find there are too many problems: positioning of images and text not always correct, colours don't match, it can't handle transparency (png nor jpg >> and I need this since I want to add a background to the pdf), ...

As anyone heard of an easy alternative for creating "smart pdf's" on a mac???

And yes, I am begging... (but not too much)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pandoering

But I've heard that Acrobat Pro does not support automatic bookmark creation as it does for the Windows version. Some say Adobe didn't implement it, others say it's due to the limited macro abilities in Word for Mac.

I have tried the (long and hard and lot's of work) alternative of using the ExtendedPDF Macro with Neo Office. It works but I find there are too many problems: positioning of images and text not always correct, colours don't match, it can't handle transparency (png nor jpg >> and I need this since I want to add a background to the pdf), ...

As anyone heard of an easy alternative for creating "smart pdf's" on a mac???

And yes, I am begging... (but not too much)

Why can't you just manually create your bookmarks in Acrobat Pro? What is so difficult about manually creating bookmarks that you are willing to buy a third-party app to ease the task for you?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Why can't you just manually create your bookmarks in Acrobat Pro? What is so difficult about manually creating bookmarks that you are willing to buy a third-party app to ease the task for you?

Well, for smaller documents I'd say yes, but if you have a document with about 400 headings and you have to update the document on a regular basis, this really isn't an option.