Mozilla 1.0 RC1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone running this on OS9/X?

I'm interested to see how it's shaping up in the Mac world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sfvcpzsfvcpz Posts: 17member
    I've been running it on and off since they posted it. Working great, but now that Chimera is picking up steam I've been using that a lot more.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    RC1 works well under OS X. You still have to use a 3rd party theme if you want the interface to look anything but bad, but there are a couple floating around that are decent. Check out this guy's site for some good options

<a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=9950908334"; target="_blank">http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=9950908334</a>;

Other than that, there are still a few big bugs they are working on but in general the browser renders pages much more accurately than earlier milestones and dot releases, and is more stable as well. Last but no least I think it will be moderately faster than IE 5.x under X, and significantly faster than Omniweb.

Give it a shot. It will probably be a couple weeks at least until the final build is out and they begin to release 1.0.1 builds.

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yeah, it runs pretty well, but the interface is terribly slow and laggy. The Mach-O builds (including Chimera) perform much better than the official CFM builds but are missing certain key functions such as plug-in support.

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    tried it. very slow. not sure why anyone would use it by choice over IE5.1.

On my system IE is much more responsive and faster at rendering which surprised me.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    That's strange... IE for OS X is the WORST browser I've ever used for any OS. I'm always force-quiting it and half the time I click links nothing happens.

I've been using Mozilla since version 0.9.1. I love this browser. And RC1 is great, too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Yes, Mozilla is stable, renders accurately, and renders fast, BUT the *interface* is slow. Example: click a button, see it depress and pop up a fraction of a second later. That kind of ridiculous behavior in addition to the nonstandard widgets and overall UI is inexcusable. Furthermore, the app is not properly threaded. Everything freezes up when you hold down the mouse button.

Mozilla is *not* a first-class citizen on Mac OS X. It looks and acts like a bad port. Chimera, however, looks to fix a number of Mozilla's problems.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    for some reason the 0.99 builds were faster and more stable than this 1.0 RC. I hope this improves with RC2.

However, after using Chimera, Moz CFM really feels slow and clunky. Too bad Chimera keeps crashing.. it's so beautiful

-robo
  • Reply 8 of 10
    foamyfoamy Posts: 55member
    If you are having problems with RC1's speed compared to a previous version, run profile manager and create a new profile.

I've heard many reports of people getting much better performance with a fresh profile. I did it myself (even though my RC1 was running fine) and did see a notable increase in "snappiness".

Migrated back my bookmarks, cookies, mail/news, etc without a hitch.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>for some reason the 0.99 builds were faster and more stable than this 1.0 RC. I hope this improves with RC2.</strong><hr></blockquote>It's been documented that there were a couple of speed patches that were removed between 0.9.8 and RC1 because they introduced more bugs. If you look <a href="ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/data/loadtimes/daily_loadtime.html"; target="_blank">here</a>, you'll see when Mozilla started getting much slower (coinciding with when patches were added/removed for different builds).

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by His Dudeness:

<strong>half the time I click links nothing happens.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's good to hear that I'm not alone clicking on links that don't load. It's really odd. You click on a link, the link highlights, but it doesn't load. WTF? At least some versions of IE for Windows exhibit the same problem, BTW.

After a years of using IE is my primary browser, I have started looking at other options. The main reason for me is that IE has no good way to turn off pop-up/pop-under ads completely. The obvious next step is OmniWeb, which works pretty well, but I'm not a fan of antialiasing small text (looks too blurry). Chimera is very promising. I'll wait to try Mozilla because of its antiquated UI.

It's good finally to see some action in a browser war dominated by MSIE in recent years.

Escher