Macs dominate Amazon "Top Sellers" list

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's Macintosh personal computers are becoming an increasingly popular choice for consumers, especially for those shopping online at mega-retailer Amazon.com, which this week lists Mac systems as occupying nine out of ten positions in its frequently updated "Top Sellers" listing for personal computer sales.

Topping the list, as of press time, were the 17-inch 1.83GHz iMac Core Duo and 20-inch 2.0GHz iMac Core Duo -- offering further evidence that Apple's Intel-based Macs are being well received by consumers.

Not far behind at the No. 3 position is Apple's sub-$1000 12-inch 1.33GHz PowerPC-based iBook portable, followed by the 1.83GHz MacBook Pro and 1.67GHz MacBook Pro.

The remainder of the Macs in the top 10 of the list are PowerPC-based systems, with the 14-inch 1.42GHz iBook taking the No. 6 spot and the 17-inch 1.9GHz iMac at No. 7.

The 12-inch 1.5GHz PowerBook and 20-inch 2.0GHz iMac round out Apple's presence in the top 10, taking the No. 8 and No. 9 slots, respectively. The 10th most popular computer system Amazon sells is a Sony VIAO laptop.

While it's clear that Apple's Macs are amongst the most popular personal computers Amazon sells, the retailer's "Top Sellers" list is not an accurate indicator of Apple's overall progress in the PC market.

The dominating presence of Macs in Amazon's top seller listings may also be fueled by recent promotions from the retailer, which is offering $100 or more in rebates on all of the aforementioned systems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

While it's clear that Apple's Macs are amongst the most popular personal computers Amazon sells, the retailer's "Top Sellers" list is not an accurate indicator of Apple's overall progress in the PC market.

No kiddin'.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Clearly this is a good sign. But is there anyway we can quantify this and really use it to get a peek into sales (and give me a little more confidence about buying more stock!)

- Since Oct 2004 (iMac G5 intro), Apple has generally had 5 to 8 items in Amazon's top 10 computers. I don't know if this was true before then. In any case, during that period, Apple has been increasing Mac unit sales and gaining market share.

- Somebody reported last fall that Amazon's electronics sales was #9 in the top 10 electronics retailers in the US, behind companies like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Walmart, etc. I shoulda bookmarked it when I read it as I've not been able to find that article again via Google/Yahoo/MSN. Complicating this a bit is that Amazon doesn't tell us how much of electronics sales are computers. (A large portion is iPod sales!)

Also, MacBook Pro is #11, iMac Core Duo #14 at Apple Online Store. The Macs had disappeared off the Apple list for a long time, altho I don't know when Apple switched from the top 10 to the top 15. I'm sure detractors will say they just did it recently so as to include the two Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Guilty as charged. I ordered my iMac Duo from Amazon because of the $125 rebate, no tax, and free shipping. And I get the 1.57% discount for being an a9.com search user. And I used some Amazon dollars I got from my credit card points.

Other vendors offer free RAM but charge an install fee.

Really, Amazon appears to offer the best deal. Why would a smart shopper buy anywhere else?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Someone pointed out that http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/profile/735_1526.html says Amazon is in the top 20 US, and lists the top 13 US as Best Buy, Wal-mart, Circuit City, Dell, Radio Shack, Target, Sears, CompUSA, Costco, Sam's Club, Lowe's, Home Depot, PC Richard & Son.

Maybe Amazon was #19, not #9.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Meh... More sales per model is a forgone conclusion when an OEM sells computers in fewer variations. But Amazon is often a good place to get Macs from.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    you mac heads have gone too far this time! does your bias know no means. "Dominate" the list, thats crap, consider that only like 10 of the top 100 are Apple. Thats hardly domination. Furthermore, look at that shiny VAIO, explain that! dam mac biased crazies. Go back to hugging your pictures of steve jobs!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I think the 12" selling so good indicates a market for subnotebook portables. (crossing fingers)

Signed,

12" owner that wants smaller portable
  • Reply 8 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike12309

you mac heads have gone too far this time! does your bias know no means. "Dominate" the list, thats crap, consider that only like 10 of the top 100 are Apple. Thats hardly domination. Furthermore, look at that shiny VAIO, explain that! dam mac biased crazies. Go back to hugging your pictures of steve jobs!

Heh! Good one.

But for all that, Apple only has a few models to begin with. I wonder where the PM is? They offer a good deal on those too.

But, remember; no customization! WYSIWYG
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Well, as I'm sure everyone here will admit Apple surely doesn't "dominate" any list of PC sales, but for only offering (as far as I can see) 15 different models having 9 out of the top ten is fairly impressive. Personally I own Apple as well as Windows computers and hopefully before too long I won't even need a windows machine. Mike, I'm not sure if you were serious or not, but you have to admit, Mac is finally starting to gain popularity.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    So there are a lot of contradicting reports floating around that iMac intels are not selling and some saying otherwise. Now if we could have Linux (or even Windows) booting on these Intel based Macintoshes that would be wonderful, there are not going to be many OS X native apps for Intel Macs (Rosetta would suck for playing videos, processor intensive tasks), atleast with Linux booting or Windows booting the fellow mac users would be able run apps natively. ATI support for Linux sucks IMHO.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I ordered my 20"imac last Sunday from Amazon.

It was supposed to ship by today but I haven't seen any movement yet *sigh*
  • Reply 12 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Come on! Who buys a computer from Amazon that isnt a Mac, with Apple setting the prices, there isnt much luctuation from vendor to vendor. In the PC side, most places have wildly differant pricing: CDW, PC/Macmall, Tiger direct, bestbuy/CC/Frys/CompUSA, newegg or factory direct so shopping around usually nets you a much better deal than going to only one source, whereas with Apple, it doesnt matter, the price is the same accross the board.

What I am saying is that these numbers are meaningless. Amazon may sell lets just say 10% of macs, but OTOH, they may represent <1% for HP/Compaq/Dell/Acer/Linovo...

Amazon is a great company (sans dumb patents) but they are not by any strech a bench mark for PC or consumer electronic sales based on a diverse crossample.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    i believe amazon calculates top sellers hourly, too.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I think the 12" selling so good indicates a market for subnotebook portables. (crossing fingers)

Signed,

12" owner that wants smaller portable

I'm signing your petition too!

"MacBook Nano" - NAND based storage, Wi-Max, low power 64 bit Merom ... come on come on!

My 2003 PB 12" can last me until it arrives.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Now if we could have Linux (or even Windows) booting on these Intel based Macintoshes that would be wonderful, there are not going to be many OS X native apps for Intel Macs (Rosetta would suck for playing videos, processor intensive tasks), atleast with Linux booting or Windows booting the fellow mac users would be able run apps natively. ATI support for Linux sucks IMHO.

I'm an IT student, and I can't for the life of me understand why all my peers are in love with Linux, it has a LOONG way to go before its ready for your average home user.

And why would apple put linux or windows on their machines? That doesn't make any sense, the primary reason for Apple hardware sales is because they are the only ones that can run the worlds best (UNIX based, so many people seem to forget that) computers.

(my Intro to Unix professor forgot macs run UNIX )
  • Reply 16 of 23
    You know, I think that when Apple computers comprise 9 out of 10 spots on the top ten list they "dominate" the list. They're owning the list.

You can't just compare Apple vs PC, You have to compare Apple vs Dell vs Compaq vs HP, etc.

So, what I see in the Amazon list is that Apple isn't their best selling platform, but they ARE their best selling brand.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay I'm an IT student, and I can't for the life of me understand why all my peers are in love with Linux, it has a LOONG way to go before its ready for your average home user.

And why would apple put linux or windows on their machines? That doesn't make any sense, the primary reason for Apple hardware sales is because they are the only ones that can run the worlds best (UNIX based, so many people seem to forget that) computers.

(my Intro to Unix professor forgot macs run UNIX )

That's pretty damn funny! Linux is fascinating, but I don't know if I would ever make friends with Tux. I know they have a hardcore following though.

I think this is fabulous news. People are seeing the light.

And yes Mike, I do in fact hug my pic of Steve Jobs and my iBook everyday.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike12309

Intelligently argued. We should all hope to equal your great reasoning skills one day. You don't sound crazy at all

Some like to say (it will probably crop up in this thread) that Amazon rankings are meaningless because Amazon users tend to be Mac users, but that's just not true. Most Amazon users are PC users, just like the rest of the world.

What IS true is that Amazon is not representative of the buying public today. Amazon is used by people comfortable with online shopping, early adopters of new ways of buying. Thus, I'd say that Amazon is more representative of the future of people's buying habits, not so much a glimpse of today's market. That bodes will for Macs.

The fewer-SKU math is a good point as well. Nobody should argue that Amazon sells more Macs than any other brand--that evidence isn't here. Macs are the top-sellers, no more no less. (When I checked several times in recent days they were ALL top 10--but the list changes several times a day.)

Also, being in the top 10 is a pretty darned good "banner ad" for Apple, if nothing else!

As for Amazon offering good deals on Apple products: yes, they have for a long time. But deals are to be found on other products too. Especially Amazon top-sellers.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    It's nice that Apple currently holds 9 of the top 10 spots for Amazon computer sales. And I agree somewhat with mike12309. Amazon's figures don't represent an accurate picture of overall marketshare.

Sooooooo, I can only conclude that Apple computers are a favorite of people who buy and read books.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

What I am saying is that these numbers are meaningless. Amazon may sell lets just say 10% of macs, but OTOH, they may represent <1% for HP/Compaq/Dell/Acer/Linovo...

maybe i should have added /Sarcasm to the end of my post...