How do I make the Apple DVD player multi-region?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As the subject header says.

I buy dvd's from all over the world and really want to be able to play them all on my Mac.

iDunno.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The short answer is you can't make the *actual* application "DVD player" multi-region. You have to update or 'flash' the DVD drives firmware.

There are flash updates available to download depending on the model and type of drive in your Mac but it should be noted that such firmware updates should be fully researched and, of course, used at your own risk!

An easier option would be to buy a cheap DVD player and do a search for a 'handset' or remote HACK via Google et al (you enter a specific code via the remote and change the region code of the player to 0 or multi-region).
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Oh... it's worth noting that many 'Philips' DVD players are among some of the easiest brands to hack via the remote and are of good quality, both build and picture/sound wise.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

The short answer is you can't make the *actual* application "DVD player" multi-region. You have to update or 'flash' the DVD drives firmware.

There are flash updates available to download depending on the model and type of drive in your Mac but it should be noted that such firmware updates should be fully researched and, of course, used at your own risk!

An easier option would be to buy a cheap DVD player and do a search for a 'handset' or remote HACK via Google et al (you enter a specific code via the remote and change the region code of the player to 0 or multi-region).

DONT RISK IT __ Use VLC for non-home region DVDs! VLC seems to ignore region flags in my ecperiance,
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Agreed... if you don't know what you are doing or are unsure about flashing your drive then don't. You may just muck up the drive and invalidate your warranty. Go with the easier option.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    *cough ehem cough*
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Although my movies all appear to be my region, i have friends who use VLC to view other DVDs. It [supposedly] works very well and doesn't need hacking.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

*cough ehem cough*

Gene, you always have a solution that helps me out. I salute you.

btw I have no intention of flashing anything... especially my "hardware"
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    DO NOT use RegionX unless you have a hacked firmware. It DOES NOT WORK on normal drives and changing regions will permanently lock your drive.

That said, I DO use RegionX on my hacked drive and it works like a charm. Couldn't be happier.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    thanks, Ebby.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    If VLC works with any region then surely the apple player is region limited and not the hardware? Why are apple being so anal? Windows PCs dont have this problem!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

If VLC works with any region then surely the apple player is region limited and not the hardware? Why are apple being so anal? Windows PCs dont have this problem!

It was a very long time ago but when i first tried to watch a DVD on my mom's laptop, it aksed me the code i wanted and said that i could only change it once. I was the first person to ever insert a DVD.

I do not know if times have changed for this or not because i did this about 6 years ago but, there was a point where windows was just as anal.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    i seem to have something caught in my throat as well, cough cough
  • Reply 13 of 16
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    It's not OS X or Windows 'being anal.' The DVD drive is set to a specific region coding. Usually you are allowed something like 5 changes of it (the MPAA thinks that this is very generous of them). The software requests the region code of the drive and reads the region of the disc and then imposes limitations, IIRC. VLC ignores this and just plays the disc. But officially licensed players like Apple's DVD Player need to abide by the rules of the DVD Consortium. Technically even the ability to 'hack' Philips stand-alone DVD players to multi-region is a violation of the rules, so far as I understand them. VLC avoids all this because the software it uses to access the DVDs is in a legal grey area (similar to DeCSS).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Well I never had that problem with my PeeCee and I never had to use any CoughCough type software .

You can probably tell I'm a switcher, and I apologise in advance if I occasionally make comparisons.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

Well I never had that problem with my PeeCee and I never had to use any CoughCough type software .

You can probably tell I'm a switcher, and I apologise in advance if I occasionally make comparisons.

I never got VLC to work playing different region DVDs, due to CSS scrambling... And if you want to use an app like RegionX, you need to flash your firmware first...

Having said that... If you have a PowerBook cough!

Some general info: http://xvi.rpc1.org/rpc1regions.html
  • Reply 16 of 16
    For non powerbooks, eherm