Amazon plans full-length feature film downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Online retailer Amazon.com is preparing to enter the digital download space this spring with a service that will likely marry digital video streaming to DVD sales, reports Variety.com.

Unlike Apple's iTunes service, which so far offers only short films and television programming, Amazon's plans call for full-length digital of feature films.

The retailer is reportedly working to convince indie studios, including Image Entertainment, Ardustry Home Entertainment and First Look Entertainment, to provide digital content for the service.

The service is expected to launch at the end of April with at least two major studio digital content partners. What's unique about Amazon's approach to digital movie streams is that the retailer plans to include with each digital purchase a copy of the content on DVD.

"One supplier explained that an Amazon customer could stream a digital copy of a film for a fee and apply that charge as a credit toward the eventual purchase of the DVD," wrote Variety. "Another plan is for a customer to buy a DVD; while waiting for it to arrive, he could stream the content over his computer."

Apparently, the hoopla surrounding the launch of the video iPod revved up Amazon.com's talks with studios. The retailer realized a move to digital video streams was necessary to help protect its Internet turf from industry "newbies" such as Apple.

It's unclear what movie content Amazon will have available at launch, according to the report. The major studios have so far licensed their movie content for sale over the Internet only to Movielink and CinemaNow in the pay-per-view window that lags DVD.

"We are having active conversations with Amazon regarding their digital strategy," Image executive VP of business development Burgess Wilson said. He declined to reveal details about the negotiations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Amazon's plans call for full-length digital downloads of feature films.

"One supplier explained that an Amazon customer could stream a digital copy of a film for a fee and apply that charge as a credit toward the eventual purchase of the DVD," wrote Variety. "Another plan is for a customer to buy a DVD; while waiting for it to arrive, he could stream the content over his computer."

Emphasis added.

Streaming != downloading.

Get your facts straight Katie. Describing a movie streaming service as a download is service is sloppy and misleading. A download service (such as iTunes) implies the buyer maintains a copy on his hard drive with at least some fair use rights. Amazon's streaming service is obviously designed to do no such thing. It's designed to sell traditional physical media DVDs.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    100 bucks that the media format used for streaming (or whatever download method) is not Mac compatible (ie WMV).
  • Reply 3 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing something like that for music CDs: the option to apply (some of) your iTunes album purchase towards having the disc sent to you.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I actually wouldn't mind seeing something like that for music CDs: the option to apply (some of) your iTunes album purchase towards having the disc sent to you.

So they can collect dust?
  • Reply 5 of 35
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Emphasis added.

Streaming != downloading.

Get your facts straight Katie. Describing a movie streaming service as a download is service is sloppy and misleading. A download service (such as iTunes) implies the buyer maintains a copy on his hard drive with at least some fair use rights. Amazon's streaming service is obviously designed to do no such thing. It's designed to sell traditional physical media DVDs.

I've made this correction throughout the article. In Katie's defense, she was purely quoting Variety.com, which has apparently confused downloads and streams. Their article reads "downloads" throughout.

Thanks,

Kasper
  • Reply 6 of 35
    So long as digital copies are hobbled by rights protection so that they can't be conveniently used, there's no point to discussing distribution. iTMS videos are cute, but they don't equal DVD quality, and thy're not portable, which means that long-term, they'll become essentially useless. DVD is not a secure format (for anyone aside from law-abiding US residents, anyway), and we can therefore transfer content into whatever format we choose. Of course, soon we'll have higher quality formats, but DVD is certainly adequate as open media for the next decade or so.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by aestival

So long as digital copies are hobbled by rights protection so that they can't be conveniently used, there's no point to discussing distribution. iTMS videos are cute, but they don't equal DVD quality, and thy're not portable, which means that long-term, they'll become essentially useless. DVD is not a secure format (for anyone aside from law-abiding US residents, anyway), and we can therefore transfer content into whatever format we choose. Of course, soon we'll have higher quality formats, but DVD is certainly adequate as open media for the next decade or so.

What's important is they are selling these lower-quality videos now and proving digital distribution works. It will only continue to improve, and splinter into dozens of new incompatible formats with all of the new players determined to carve a niche in this incremental growth business.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    But Apple had better start moving. If they stick by their guns here, they will lose out.

Right now, Apple's stock is continuing to fall because invertors are worried about Google's video store, and that they might start a music store within the next 3 - 6 months.

And now, Amazon is starting a video service, with higher quality (though I don't know the prices).

Whatever Apple is planning to do, it better be soon!

It's possible that they should come out with something before they have another iPod. If these other services start to catch on, Apple will have to play catch-up.

If that happens, they lose control over negotiations, as well as the direction, and the standards.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    "The retailer realized a move to digital video streams was necessary to help protect its Internet turf from industry "newbies" such as Apple."

How long has Amazon been offering downloadable Media to sync with the most popular media playing device in the world? How long have they been offering any downloadable media? WTF??? I don't get it, who's the noob?...Amazon was a book company that happened to start selling other stuff. They are a retailer of products. Google is a search engine, that has gotten their paws into other things. They are all "noobs".

Mark your Calenders folks, April 1st, Apple's Birthday! And the Day they put these "Apple killers" in their rightful places once and for all.

One more thing, just because Amazon leaks their news, doesn't mean Apple doesn't have something huge up their sleeve. Don't underestimate the Apple Machine.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by boombashi

"The retailer realized a move to digital video streams was necessary to help protect its Internet turf from industry "newbies" such as Apple."

How long has Amazon been offering downloadable Media to sync with the most popular media playing device in the world? How long have they been offering any downloadable media? WTF??? I don't get it, who's the noob?...Amazon was a book company that happened to start selling other stuff. They are a retailer of products. Google is a search engine, that has gotten their paws into other things. They are all "noobs".

Mark your Calenders folks, April 1st, Apple's Birthday! And the Day they put these "Apple killers" in their rightful places once and for all.

One more thing, just because Amazon leaks their news, doesn't mean Apple doesn't have something huge up their sleeve. Don't underestimate the Apple Machine.

The thing is?we don't know what Apple has up their sleeve.

But, I hate the fact that they think they have to have big events to come out with a new product.

If the damn thing is ready, come out with it!
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Right now, Apple's stock is continuing to fall because invertors are worried about Google's video store

Ha ha ha ha...uh...em...hmmm...that was a joke right? Because...well, that was a joke right?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

And now, Amazon is starting a video service, with higher quality (though I don't know the prices).

Well...they are preparing to anyway. We know that whatever Apple is preparing to do won't be (really) known until they announce it. I think Amazon is in the same boat as Google here...they don't control the experience up to the remote control (which will matter greatly for this business). If you told me TiVO was going to be doing downloadable or streamable movies...then I'd be quite a bit more worried.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

It's possible that they should come out with something before they have another iPod. If these other services start to catch on, Apple will have to play catch-up.

If that happens, they lose control over negotiations, as well as the direction, and the standards.

Much as it happened with the digital music player/download market. Oh, wait...
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

But, I hate the fact that they think they have to have big events to come out with a new product.

Well that's just all about marketing. If you mean that they wait for a pre-scheduled major event (e.g., MacWorld) I agree. But I suspect they'll do as they did with iPod. Schedule a special event...and they'll get people to show up too. And if they time it right, it will be all anyone friggin' talks about for like 8 years. They are brilliant at this. Well, or lucky...but who cares. I'd rather be lucky than brilliant any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

P.S. Besides, if the rumors are to be believed, what they have planned in the video market is being held up by some technology/patent/licensing/lawsuit issues (Burst.com)
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

So they can collect dust?

for higher quality audio, for artwork, for a backup...
  • Reply 16 of 35
    SuperBowl Sunday would be a good time for an advertisement. But it would just tickle the fancies. An event must be the ticket.

Worried about Google. That must be melgross who is worried about google, vis a vis stock. They are certainly competition. Go NHN. Come on over this way.

It is interesting that Amazon is looking toward indie studios. Good for them. I hope Apple does too, it would be so much in kind to do that.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    So, what is the minimum download speed to stream in real-time full-length, full-screen and full-quality movies.

20 Mbps?

What about High Definition movies?

100 Mbps?

Oops!
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Ha ha ha ha...uh...em...hmmm...that was a joke right? Because...well, that was a joke right?

Well, inverters wasn't exactly correct, but what I said was.

While people here might not want to believe some of the things that are going on in the outside world, others do.

Right now, Goolgle is the most feared competitor. Even MS is nervous. When Google beat MS to AOL recently, it surprised everyone. Remember that Google was the one Tech company that beat Apple in brand recognition around the world.

Whether they will succeed with this is one thing, but right now, they are the ones investors are concerned about.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Right now, Goolgle is the most feared competitor. Even MS is nervous. When Google beat MS to AOL recently, it surprised everyone. Remember that Google was the one Tech company that beat Apple in brand recognition around the world.

Whether they will succeed with this is one thing, but right now, they are the ones investors are concerned about.

Google is still the golden boy, because their lackluster announcements and sloppy thinking on their video store opening would've knocked 10 points off of Apple's stock. They will not be allowed to be that sloppy once their stock starts reflecting their true worth as an ad agency disguised as a search engine.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Well, inverters wasn't exactly correct, but what I said was.

I strongly disagree. Apple's stock dip this week was not about Google Video (which is a joke).

Quote:

While people here might not want to believe some of the things that are going on in the outside world, others do.

If you are implying this about me, you are wrong again.

Quote:

Right now, Goolgle is the most feared competitor.

On some things, yes. Not everything. Google is going through the "King Midas" period (where everything thing could possibly touch will turn to gold...so some think).

Quote:

Remember that Google was the one Tech company that beat Apple in brand recognition around the world.

Ummm...in truth it has been bouncing back and forth over the past few years. That said...I'll bet the thing people identify with the Google brand is relatively limited (search).

Quote:

I believe you are very, very wrong on this. There have a been a lot of reasons for Apple's current stock dip (oh...and Googles too BTW)...some ambiguity about Intel iMca sales, the Disney/Pixar deal and what it might mean for Steve Jobs to be on the Disney board, general technology sell-off, profit-taking, maybe even rumors of Microsoft getting into the digital music player business. Google, if it is anyof it, is an extremely small part of it.

BTW...don't make the mistake of assuming I am dismissing Google altogether...I just think your analysis and intepretation of current events and circumstances is wrong.