What's wrong with the Finder?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

-FTP (finder needs to have better FTP support)

I think FTP support is not a required feature for the finder. there are excellent FTP solutions for macos X in the market. Fetch, Transmit, Capitan FTP and the list go on .... if you do not want to pay for those solutions, use the terminal.app

by the way, my brother still use pico for editing his text files. the is the ultimate NO-GUI fan!

regards!
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Is the current finder (Tiger) a Carbon app or a Cocoa app? I am confused on this part.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    I wish spotlight didn't scrap the entire search when you change a character in the search field.

You type in "hello kitty" into the search field and it searches and completes the search, if you hit backspace so it looks for "hello kitt" it starts the search from the top. It would be great it it removed from the existing list what didn't match and add what it found new in the list.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

The problem probably feels amplified in a place like AI where we come to nitpick about the most minor things. I bet for every person who doesnt like the finder there is 99 who work with it with no thought at all, because for them it just works.

And for every person who complains about Microsoft Word, there are probably 99 people who use it and are never even quite sure if it's "Dell", "Windows", "Word" or "Internet Explorer" they are using, far less being capable of pointing out and analyzing what's wrong with it. That doesn't make Word good software.
    Quote:

Sure there are problems but the fact remains that 99.998% works correctly.

If specifications say a software should format your hard drive, fry your screen and make rude jokes about you through the speaker, and it does that, it's working "correctly", It's still useless software. What matters is how well the software lets you do your work. I personally have observed no "correctness" (read: crashing and obvious bugs) in 10.4 Finder, although it is still rather choppy especially with preview column enabled . It's the obvious faults in design that bug me, and those are present in 100% of Finders.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    I have to agree with MajorMatt. Obviously some people seem to encounter problems with the finder, but I personally have been using a mac for over a year now and have A LOT of files. I have never personally experienced any slowness or beachballs with finder. This could be due to the fact that I never browse a network with it.

And coming from the windows world it works much better then the windows equivilent. I am not saying that means it can't be better but it is better then windows.

When MajorMatt says there are probably a ton of people that don't even think about it I think thats true. I wouldn't have ever thought about if there wasn't the posts on the apple oriented message boards.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

I have to agree with MajorMatt. Obviously some people seem to encounter problems with the finder, but I personally have been using a mac for over a year now and have A LOT of files. I have never personally experienced any slowness or beachballs with finder. This could be due to the fact that I never browse a network with it.

And coming from the windows world it works much better then the windows equivilent. I am not saying that means it can't be better but it is better then windows.

When MajorMatt says there are probably a ton of people that don't even think about it I think thats true. I wouldn't have ever thought about if there wasn't the posts on the apple oriented message boards.

Well it could just be because people are complaining about the wrong reasons. :P

Like I said earlier, a lot of people are complaining about slowness and bugs...when the biggest issue at hand is that the Finder concept in general is deprecated. To fix the Finder would mean to get rid of it.

But I guess I fall in a very tiny 'FTFF' category with a view toward the future instead of the present. I'm sure tons of people think I'm crazy. And maybe I am.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

If you truly believe that then you absolutely hate the Open/Save dialog.

And you also hate the fact that it wouldn't matter where your files are. :::::snip:::::

Huh? I don't think we are on the same page.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

It aint broke so dont fix it.

Optomize it, enhance it, port it to cocoa but there need be no major redesign.

What's the relevance of whether it's Cocoa or Carbon?
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

What's the relevance of whether it's Cocoa or Carbon?

With Cocoa, Apple will be able to develop faster and focus on what really counts.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:

I keep seeing FTFF but I am perplexed. What is exactly wrong?

There a couple things I'd like to see. Closing the last window in an application should close that application. Easier access to the applications and home/documents folders would also be nice.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

There a couple things I'd like to see. Closing the last window in an application should close that application. Easier access to the applications and home/documents folders would also be nice.

I would HATE that! Sometimes I want to run programs with no windows open, seriously, it's just because of windows that people have come up with this backward notion that window==program, which is counter-intuitive to a multi-tasking environment where you have many windows in many programs open.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Closing the last window in an application should close that application

Negative. If I have a document open in say, TextEdit, and I am done with that document, I want to

1) Close that document, and

2) Open another document.

Now if the policy was that the app would quit when the last document was closed, then I have 2 choices, neither of them elegant:

1) Close the document, and have to re-launch the TextEdit app to see my next document - a pain in the ass

2) Open the next document with the old document still open, to prevent TextEdit from quitting, and THEN go to the Window menu, bring the old document to the front, and close it - another pain in the ass.

So I much prefer the Mac way - close the document you are finished with, and then choose Open and open the next document you want. NOT a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

People want Apple to FFTF for the wrong reasons.

There is very little reason for the 'average person' to wander around the hierarchy of his hard drive.

But it is very important for developers! Essential.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    To me, the ability to create a file hierarchy the way I want and to navigate it is a paramount mac experience.

To sacrafice it for a 'faster' and supposed better way by relegating the system to take over the task is madness. We have a computing metaphor that works very well, let me reiterate: if it aint broke, dont fix it.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

That's so Windows and so very annoying. Why would you need to close an application in OS X?
  • Reply 36 of 91
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Not everybody has 4gb of RAM.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Not everybody has 4gb of RAM.

Well, that's obviously *your* problem. My 2.7 Dual G5 PowerMac with 8GB of RAM has *no* problem functioning the way macheads want it to function (never quit any app, ever, even if that app is a useless piece of shit that you never want to run again *cough PhotoBooth cough*).

You should get more RAM so the Finder will work the only way it should work, the non-Windows way, never quit any app, evah! Fixing the Finder is not an option when RAM is dirt-cheap, only about 600 bucks for 4GB of RAM. And yes, if you don't like it, buy a Dell!
  • Reply 38 of 91
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Mr. Clean, what are your troubles/issues with PhotoBooth?

I find it simple, attractive, and even fun. Sure, it's kind of gimmicky, but the gimmick works. I see people playing with it at the Apple store, and they're almost always enjoying themselves.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

It aint broke so dont fix it.

it IS broke, I should be able to have the option of a nesting tree view for files and folder navigation (left pane folder tree right pane files in hilighted folder), it should work with FTP and windows shares faster, it should lose bruched metal, it should get morecore image and core video integration.

I also think 10.5 will be a huge release for the entire platform as Apple will be gutting the last of the prehistoric Carbin from the OS itsself and its accompanying apps like finder

The GUI needs to be unified accross OSX, finder, Mail, safari, ical, Quicktime, prefs, ichat, iLife, iwork, and so on.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Meanwhile, John Siracusa has this to say about the Finder.

I think Siracusa is a big bag of hot air on the finder.

Seriously, he has put so many hours of effort and wallpapered so much bandwidth with his blatherings that he could have designed the new atom bomb, cured cancer and figured out how to keep mice out of the bread sack in your kitchen cupboards.

Does anyone really know what he really wants? Does he?

I like Spotlight. I would like to see that get supercharged and blended a little better into the Finder or whatever it turns out to be. Spotlight pretty much finds everything I have lightning fast.