"The Office" US vs UK

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I heard Steve Carell was playing the lead in the american version so I had to check it out.

Great idea and well done. I do miss some of the management tricks that has been phased into the work enviroment over the last ten years. Look from a distance that is comedy gold in itself.

The UK version beats the US version hands down. The boss is obnoxious to a degree not imaginable and the realtionships are more complex than the US version. There are simply more strings to play with.

But Steve Carell is gold. I cannot stop feeling sorry for that guy (just as for him in "40 year old virgin"). Unfortunetly the too much play in the US version is between him and the rest of the characters, not among the characters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Agreed.

While I'm surprised the the US version is as good as it is, and Steve Carell does a great job of recreating the role, British TV is just far more willing to go with something like an absolutely horrifying lead character, which is what made the UK original so funny.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    The UK version was truly, truly, truly inspired. The mannerisms of the boss are, in my opion, without equal -- in being able to both parody, and still dead-on represent what we all have/had to deal with in the workplace.

As far as the U.S. version is concerned -- I've changed diapers with far better content.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    IMHO, the UK version is still better but the thing about the US version: it's going to last longer which can be a blessing or a vice. I should mention I was really surprise by the quality and how funny the US version is. Heck, I even made a desktop !
  • Reply 4 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Why make a worse version in the first place, instead of airing the original?

I've understood that there is some kind of antipathy towards foreign languages and subtitling in the US, but that shouldn't be a problem for UK content...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    haven't seen the US version at all (i'm just never home ot see it, and no, i don't have dvr), but i did netflix all of the office UK versions, including the one-off "office special". the first season was, as they say, BRILLIANT! the second season, though, just felt flat to me, and i didn't find myself laughing out loud as often (and the ending of the second season... i nearly threw a shoe at the tv). but the office special was exactly what i needed to pull everything back together into one tight run.

but hey, i've loved steve carell (sp?) since his days on EvenSte(v/ph)en with Stephen Colbert on The Daily Show. so i'll probably like anything he's in.

p.s. i've enjoyed some of the ricky gervais podcasts, too.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I haven't seen the UK version, but I'll have to with all the positive remarks it's getting.

The US version has gone downhill fast in the last few weeks. These last few episodes that I've seen were pathetic. I don't think I laughed once during any of them. The one where they take the office party onto the boat was lame, the one where Michael burns his foot on his George Foreman grill was stupid, and this last one where Michael had the stain on his office carpet was just...a waste of time. It'd better get better soon or I'll find better things to watch.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I haven't seen the UK version, but I'll have to with all the positive remarks it's getting.

The US version has gone downhill fast in the last few weeks. These last few episodes that I've seen were pathetic. I don't think I laughed once during any of them. The one where they take the office party onto the boat was lame, the one where Michael burns his foot on his George Foreman grill was stupid, and this last one where Michael had the stain on his office carpet was just...a waste of time. It'd better get better soon or I'll find better things to watch.

What are you talking about... the whole part where Jim gets moved to the back room and starts playing matchmaker was hilarious!

I think both versions have distinct charm. I doubt we'll ever see Steve Carell do the types of dances and singing that Ricky Gervais did so well.

And yes, the Ricky Gervais podcast is fab!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    They just started showing the British version on my local PBS station on Sunday nights...

It really is the boss that makes that show... the rest of the characters are more or less the same...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

And yes, the Ricky Gervais podcast is fab!

Thank you Xool. I just learned of Guardian/Ricky and loving it!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by /mandolux/

Thank you Xool. I just learned of Guardian/Ricky and loving it!

Glad to help! Usually I listen to it at work which disturbs others because I'm randomly laughing with my headphones too much.

The Ricky Gervais Podcast is also on iTunes, although I don't see the first set of episodes listed. If you missed 'em and they're not on the guardian site let me know.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Glad to help! Usually I listen to it at work which disturbs others because I'm randomly laughing with my headphones too much.

The Ricky Gervais Podcast is also on iTunes, although I don't see the first set of episodes listed. If you missed 'em and they're not on the guardian site let me know.

i didn't miss them, but apparently when they were removed, itunes synced and removed 'em too (i think... otherwise, i don't know where they went). anyway, if you've got them, or know where they can be a-gotten, i'd appreciate it.

thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    >>if you missed 'em and they're not on the guardian site let me know.

Yes, I would like to get them too.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

What are you talking about... the whole part where Jim gets moved to the back room and starts playing matchmaker was hilarious!

Yeah, I thought that whole episode was great! Laughed my ass off........ and I enjoyed the schmaltzy ending too.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member

I managed to get hold of more US version first so I saw the two seasons first. I identified to a certain degree with the "Jim" character but realise that it was meant to be like that (right age group as the audience, the right distance to rest of the office etc.)

Then I saw more episodes from the bbc version. SPOT ON, including the unreleased office romance with a like minded person AND the hair cut.

Well.I guess its natural. I always felt a bit like Dentarthurdent.