Goodbye Mac World

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, it has been a fun few years, but my company has been bought by an all Windows using firm. I ordered a shiney new Dell that will be in this Wed.

I will say that I obviously am not a fan of Windows by any means, but part of me feels that I am being opened up to new opportunites as well (insert spam, spyware, etc. jokes here).

Well, any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

Well, any thoughts?

Find a new job, buy a mac for home, wait until someone works out how to dual boot an Intel Mac then get your work to order one.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Well, it has been a fun few years, but my company has been bought by an all Windows using firm. I ordered a shiney new Dell that will be in this Wed.

I will say that I obviously am not a fan of Windows by any means, but part of me feels that I am being opened up to new opportunites as well (insert spam, spyware, etc. jokes here).

Well, any thoughts?

Yea. Sell the new Dell on eBay, buy a MacBook Pro, and run windows on it also.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I have VPC now, and it really is a paiin for me.. Seems like it is only a band aid...
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Umm. . . a lot of people work for companies that run Windows. Like me. I happen to have an iMac at home, though.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Yep. I have an older eMac, and a 1.67 17"PB, that my wife will inheret. So, not all is lost. It is ok though. I will get through this.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Wait until you get all comfy with MS Outlook, get your email synchronized to your Palm with Data Viz's Office/Email software and your goddamned genius IT bastards throw out MS Outlook, trash your email transfer/conveneince and THEN saddle you with Lotus Notes, {OPINION} "The Infernalist Piece of Software on the Planet"{\\OPINION}.

69$ to get your email reconnected...perhaps.

Ha, Ha; you don't think that it will be too bad....

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Put Debian/Ubuntu on your new Dell and save the new company thousands of dollars in fees to Microsoft.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Wait until you get all comfy with MS Outlook, get your email synchronized to your Palm with Data Viz's Office/Email software and your goddamned genius IT bastards throw out MS Outlook, trash your email transfer/conveneince and THEN saddle you with Lotus Notes, {OPINION} "The Infernalist Piece of Software on the Planet"{\\OPINION}.

69$ to get your email reconnected...perhaps.

Ha, Ha; you don't think that it will be too bad....

V/R,

Aries 1B

holy F*88 LOTUS NOTES IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF CORPORATE RUBBISH I HAVE EVER HAD TO USE. it's hideous beyond words can describe. "The Infernalist Piece of Software on the Planet" is a good title.

yeah pBaker, enjoy the goodness of msexchange and lotus notes and IT guys deciding to hog your processor 100% with "antivirus" and "backing up" shite just when your boss is hovering over your shoulder demanding to see an excel (for windows) spreadsheet

you'll be alright. either try virtual pc for mac to get by initially, or just get a mac laptop and have it around your workplace just to make a statement - "i'm gonna play ball and use windows but i'm never going to forget my mac roots suckas..!!!!"

last resort, have an imac at home so that you can return after a hard Dell's work (bad joke, i know) to your beautiful mac and loving family, in that order

heh. now you all can call me a mac zealot \ guess i got a bit emotional there.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Well, the new Dell will be here tomorrow....

I can't wait.

My boss has one, and the first thing that I noticed when I type on it as the the keyboard feels very flimsy, cheap..
  • Reply 10 of 18
    My uncle loves his mac at home but he likes using windows at work. You may find the same thing. The reason he likes using a different operating system at home and at work is when he is using his computer at home, he doesn't feel like he is working
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Well, I am of the mindset, having run my own business for a while now, and now being owned by a larger company, that Windows is all but necessary.

I know that VPC will run the stuff, but it is a pain, and our tech guys say that the software vendors will not support anything being run on VPC...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I have been without my Mac for over a month now (broke down) and I am now waiting for my MacBook Pro to arrive. In the meantime, I have been working exclusively on an HP laptop. I can't STAND it. nothing makes any sense in the interface. THeir task bar is all but useless. forget getting anything done on this thing... I'm way too busy fending off spam and virus infestations!

Honestly though, it mostly "works" for the basics, although with no elegance about it. its a rough tool for rough work \
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Well, the new Dell will be here tomorrow....

I can't wait.

My boss has one, and the first thing that I noticed when I type on it as the the keyboard feels very flimsy, cheap..

Well, what can I say...."It's a Dell!"

Whenever I can't get a network signal on my iBook G4, I have to use my dad's Dell Dimension desktop to get internet access. Everytime I do, I feel dirty..and not in the good way.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You guys do know that the creater of Lotus Notes, Ray Ozzie, is now Microsoft CTO, right?

Microsoft bought his company, Groove Networks last April. Groove is rumored to be a major part of 'Office 12'.

Just food for thought.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

You guys do know that the creater of Lotus Notes, Ray Ozzie, is now Microsoft CTO, right?

Microsoft bought his company, Groove Networks last April. Groove is rumored to be a major part of 'Office 12'.

Just food for thought.

the kinda food that makes one throw up
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I actually just got a new HP box at work to replace a Dell and it is awesome. Mac or Windows nothing beats getting a new computer with a buff processor and 2 Gigs of ram. I have to say to that the IT guys at work run into lots of stupid problems that seem legit with Macs.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Windows keeps the IT guys employed.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

Windows keeps the IT guys employed.

Yup, and everyone on the corporate helpless desk where I work freely admits this fact.

I'm not sure I understand the hatred of Lotus Notes though. Of course, we have tons of customized processes that run in Notes so we can leverage the replication capabilities to its fullest.