Finding a MS Word Font with "macrons" for Japanese

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As I am constantly using romanized Japanese words, I need a decent English- language font that includes those "long marks" over Japanese long vowels. Things that make Tojo Tôjô, or Tokyo into Tôkyô, for example. You might think that after decades of doing this in multiple languages one might have found a way to do better than a circumflex!! (i.e. ? ). I used to use postscript commands to get the long o or long u, or even better, the long e sound one sometimes needs to indicate, but Microsoft knocked that option out of Word several generations ago. Of course there are linguist fonts with all kinds of funky notations, but I wonder if there is anything out there that would give me them in a regular type font.

Anyone have anything to suggest?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Times has a "phonetic" variation, although you'll pay for it.

Have you tried the "Insert Symbol" feature in word?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Times has a "phonetic" variation, although you'll pay for it.

Have you tried the "Insert Symbol" feature in word?

Thank you dmz, I'll have to explore the Phonetic Times you mention, but the Insert Symbol in Word only works if you have available the symbol to insert!

I need a macron, that little half-space-raised long mark over the o, the u, the O, the U, and rarely the a or i. It is a snap in any typesetting or in PostScript code, but is an unbelievable pain to find in normal fonts, in my experience. I am hoping I am just missing the blindingly obvious.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Thank you dmz, I'll have to explore the Phonetic Times you mention, but the Insert Symbol in Word only works if you have available the symbol to insert!

I need a macron, that little half-space-raised long mark over the o, the u, the O, the U, and rarely the a or i. It is a snap in any typesetting or in PostScript code, but is an unbelievable pain to find in normal fonts, in my experience. I am hoping I am just missing the blindingly obvious.

If you're on OSX open the Insert --> Symbol and pull down "Hei" for the font. You'll have to scroll down, but there is a o with the macron there. Hei is native to OSX, so that should work.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

If you're on OSX open the Insert --> Symbol and pull down "Hei" for the font. You'll have to scroll down, but there is a o with the macron there. Hei is native to OSX, so that should work.

Quite interesting; never saw that font before; it is apparently Chinese, but it has wonderful "Western fonts" imbedded there. The ô (with the macron instead of the circumflex) and the û are indeed there, Hei character 168 (Unicode characters 333 and 363, respectively. Only problem is that when I insert them from Symbols all I get is a single-space underline!