hooking powerbook/ macbook up to a tv

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering if it is possible to hook a powerbook or a macbook up to a tv, to play DVD's in my dorm room, or will I need a dvd player. If not its, cool, they are pretty cheap now, I was just wondering. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmorrissette

I was just wondering if it is possible to hook a powerbook or a macbook up to a tv, to play DVD's in my dorm room, or will I need a dvd player. If not its, cool, they are pretty cheap now, I was just wondering. Thanks.

Yes, it is quite possible.

The PowerBook has an S-Video port and the MacBook Pro can have S-Video with a $20 adapter on the Apple website.

You can use with that an S-video to RCA adapter or if you have a newer TV, you can just use its S-video port.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    awesome, thanks
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmorrissette

awesome, thanks

Hi Guys,

I was curious. When I hook-up my Powerbook or Intel iMac to the television for s-video, it doesn't go all the way to the edges of the screen. Is this just one of those annoyances, when hooking up a computer to an old-fashioned television?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Sure you can do it, but I've found I much prefer to watch movies on the laptop screen itself than on the TV. The quality of the TV (at least my TV) is so much worse than the laptop. I have a DVD player hooked up to my TV, but I still often just use the laptop. And the remote that comes with new laptops makes it even more appealing.

Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Hi Guys,

I was curious. When I hook-up my Powerbook or Intel iMac to the television for s-video, it doesn't go all the way to the edges of the screen. Is this just one of those annoyances, when hooking up a computer to an old-fashioned television?

Have you tried changing the resolution of the computer?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Sure you can do it, but I've found I much prefer to watch movies on the laptop screen itself than on the TV. The quality of the TV (at least my TV) is so much worse than the laptop. I have a DVD player hooked up to my TV, but I still often just use the laptop. And the remote that comes with new laptops makes it even more appealing.

Have you tried changing the resolution of the computer?

Yes, I tried every resolution it allowed me to try, and there was always some black around the edges cutting the screen size down.

Oh well, I guess thats how it goes.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Yes, I tried every resolution it allowed me to try, and there was always some black around the edges cutting the screen size down.

Oh well, I guess thats how it goes.

Are you playing DVDs through your laptop to your tv? If so, the DVD player has an option to change the display layout. such as displaying widescreen movie on a widescreen, or old screen ratio. I'm not sure of the exact option, but have a look around. Also it has a check box ticked that overrides your options. I hope that helps.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

Are you playing DVDs through your laptop to your tv? If so, the DVD player has an option to change the display layout. such as displaying widescreen movie on a widescreen, or old screen ratio. I'm not sure of the exact option, but have a look around. Also it has a check box ticked that overrides your options. I hope that helps.

Yes, that is a nice tool. Unfortunately, it isn't making a difference in this case because the output the machines are sending has the black all the way around the edge, there is no data being sent around the edges of the TV, so even when I adjust settings or zoom the DVD, it still doesn't go to the edges of the screen.

Computers never seen to hook up to standard TVs very well, so I'm not surprised.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ibook911, where do you live? TV's sold in Europe have always had higher resolutions and higher quality when compared to TV's sold in the US (this will be irrelevant once everybody has HDTV, so please don't point this out). The Mac may only be outputting resolution that fills a US TV, but in Europe, this will leave a large black border around the picture.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

ibook911, where do you live? TV's sold in Europe have always had higher resolutions and higher quality when compared to TV's sold in the US (this will be irrelevant once everybody has HDTV, so please don't point this out). The Mac may only be outputting resolution that fills a US TV, but in Europe, this will leave a large black border around the picture.

I'm in the United States.