Virus protection - worth it or not?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just switched from WinXP to OS X, and have a question regarding virus protection. On my Windows machine, I never used virus protection. I just didn't need it. I know OS X is WAY more secure than XP, so is it even worth getting virus protection? I always thought McAfee and Symantec for Windows were more of a virus/resource hog than protection software, and I'm hoping the Mac versions are better. My school provides a free version of Virex 7.7 to students, so I guess I will keep it around anway. Any comments? Thanks!

-Alex

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    So far, it's not necessary, but if you'd like to have one, do NOT use Virex. Use ClamXav, a free anti-virus app. It's what Apple ship with their Mac OS X 10.4 Server.

http://www.clamxav.com/
  • Reply 2 of 15
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Thanks What is the reasoning behind not using Virex? Does it just suck?

-alex
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Right now, I wouldn't worry about virus protection if you're a consumer.

The only people who say there are currently dangerous* viruses for Mac OS X are Mac OS X antivirus writers, and they're full of crap.

If a Mac OS X virus ever were to pop up, you'd know about it the next day and THEN you can buy antivirus software.

(* I say dangerous because there are a few malware apps out there, but require a username/password to be entered ... which is just stupid.)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Excellent, thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rashrash Posts: 14member
    I would like to add, that if you don't scan for viruses, you should be just as cautious with e-mail attachments from dubious sources as with Windows, because it is still possible to infect Windows computers if you send such contaminated e-mail attachments to your friends and others with Windows computers.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    screw 'em. they deserve it. Actually I'm a system administrator at a research laboratory on campus, so I know all about clean/dirty email. Always cautious, and my ISP's provide filtering for such worms/etc.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by RASH

I would like to add, that if you don't scan for viruses, you should be just as cautious with e-mail attachments from dubious sources as with Windows, because it is still possible to infect Windows computers if you send such contaminated e-mail attachments to your friends and others with Windows computers.

Right, because everybody forwards scary attachments to their friends. All the time.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Right, because everybody forwards scary attachments to their friends. All the time.

Right, because virus-makers are so dumb that they actually let you know that you are sending attachments with virii so that you can remove them. All the time.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Right, because virus-makers are so dumb that they actually let you know that you are sending attachments with virii so that you can remove them. All the time.

Yeah, um, we were talking about sending PC viruses from Macs. You can see them all plain as day, because, they're, you know, PC viruses.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Yeah, um, we were talking about sending PC viruses from Macs. You can see them all plain as day, because, they're, you know, PC viruses.

Right. They're usually named 'ImaPCvirus.exe' and their icon is a blowtorch.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Right. They're usually named 'ImaPCvirus.exe' and their icon is a blowtorch.

Are you seriously trying to defend yourself?

Do you actually think that anyone with a Mac is going to get a message that says "Open the attachment" that's clearly a .exe or a .bat, and think, "Wow, I'm going to forward this message to all my PC friends?"
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Are you seriously trying to defend yourself?

Do you actually think that anyone with a Mac is going to get a message that says "Open the attachment" that's clearly a .exe or a .bat, and think, "Wow, I'm going to forward this message to all my PC friends?"

I guess we've never heard of infected documents, such as, oh, the omni-present .doc. You know documents get infected too, right? And you know that the more they get passed around, the more people get infected, right?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I've always wondered how much faster the internet would be without all the traffic generated by PC viruses and it's affiliated software. Gotta love Windows.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

I guess we've never heard of infected documents, such as, oh, the omni-present .doc. You know documents get infected too, right? And you know that the more they get passed around, the more people get infected, right?

If you open up and resave a Word document on a Mac, it'll bypass the virus AFAIK. (I don't use Word.)

But I suppose you're right, even so, it's stupid to pay for AV software that slows down your computer for such fringe occasions.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    No it's not worth it.

Don't use Virex and definitely do not use Norton (not without a crucifix, some garlic and a mirror, anyway ).

PC users? They choose to take the risk, they have to live with it. Not our problem. PC users don't get viruses because Mac users email them to them. They get them because they've failed to protect their virus-prone OS.