Motorola introduces ultra-thin SLVR L7 iTunes phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorola on Tuesday introduced the SLVR L7 mobile handset, its second-generation iTunes phone featuring an ultra-thin and sleek industrial design.

The quad band (GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz) Motorola SLVR L7 with support for international roaming is being offered in the US from Cingular Wireless, the nations No. 1 wireless carrier.

The phone features iTunes software with 100 song capacity, built-in stereo speakers, integrated hands-free speakerphone, 262,000 "vivid color" TFT display, illuminated etched keypad, VGA camera with 4x digital zoom, and video capture and playback.

Each SLVR L7 also comes with extra ring-tones, Java support for games and applications, AOL/Yahoo!/ICQ instant messaging and Bluetooth connectivity.

According to Motorola, the phone measures 4.5 inches tall by 1.9 inches wide by .45 inches thick and weighs just 3.5 ounces. It features talk time of "up to 6 hours" and standby time of "up to 17 days."

The $199 SLVR L7 is only the second phone to bundle Apple's mobile iTunes software. The first was Motorola's ROKR E1 handset, which made its debut in September of last year. Reviewers and the media were less than enthusiastic about the ROKR E1, which was criticized for its poor user experience and 100 song limit.

Interestingly, Motorola earlier this month revealed that its ROKR E2 handset will not support iTunes and instead will interface with the company's proprietary iRadio subscription service.

The Motorola SLVR L7 with iTunes was first detailed in an AppleInsider report this past November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Still only 100 songs, hmm? Well, it's prettier at least...
  • Reply 2 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Companies should hire Apple to design their product interfaces. "User Interface by Apple." Phone interfaces always seem so cumbersome and ugly and counterintuitive. On-screen AND the physical controls alike.

My friends are always saying they know their phone does something (basic stuff like deleting a speed dial number or whatever) but they can't figure out how. Compare to GarageBand, say, that does very sophisticated things and yet people can sit down and do just about anything without ever reading a manual. (Which is good, because there is no manual.)

After phones, remote controls would be my next interface pet peeve! Then maybe my microwave that makes me feel like I'm cracking into the Death Star when I just want to heat water.

I think Apple has a service to offer here...
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Then maybe my microwave that makes me feel like I'm cracking into the Death Star when I just want to heat water.

I just save myself the trouble and use the stove.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    People use the microwave to heat water, what about the kettle, the microwave is actually a pretty dangerous way to heat water, quite easy to super heat it.

The phone looks alright, but whats up with the 100 song limit, my w800i which comes with a 512 card and about 30 mb internal can take more than 100 songs. I cant see any rason to limit the user to 100 songs.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Not for Europe, this phopne is already on sale here and it does not have iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    ordered it, $125 courtsey of corporate discounts. Needed an upgrade anyway from my T616. Should be here on Thursday. Any hacks out there to increase the song limit?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What is the unfolded length of the RAZR in comparison to this?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

What is the unfolded length of the RAZR in comparison to this?

Why doesn't Motorola just offer the RAZR phone with iTunes and be done with it?? Best selling phone with the best music service.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psychboy

Still only 100 songs, hmm? Well, it's bearable to look at at least...

There, fixed that for you.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The sun is a great way to heat water.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Then maybe my microwave that makes me feel like I'm cracking into the Death Star when I just want to heat water.

I think Apple has a service to offer here...

They've attempted it already. How do I know this?

Jonathan Ive already designed the replacement for your microwave water heater.

Those iPod socks were prototype tea coseys for the new iPot. Somewhere along the line someone misunderstood his English accent and thought he meant the iPod and rejigged the dimensions to fit.

No, mark my words, there's a warehouse in Cupper-tea-no with thousands of iKettles and iPots that can't be shipped because some idiot messed up the iPot tea cosey manufacturing. No Brit would let a teapot go naked. It messes up the perfect brew.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    A better photo from Cingular's site is here, as well as more info.

http://www.cingular.com/SLVR_iTunes
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Still rather have one of these when my contract is next up for renewal in August - Sony Ericsson W810. Sure it won't play my iTMS files, but I can still bluetooth 256MB of tunes to it, so it can fill in the gaps when I don't want to take my 60Gb video with me. I just prefer the Sony Ericsson interface and find them far superior to use. As a bonus, I think it looks better than the Motorola effort.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Nice phone, same old interface. There's nothing quite like Nokia for an actually decent interface.

A long time ago, I discovered a solution to the not hearing phone while listening to iPod problem: use my phone's radio w/iTrip. It sounds like iTrip always does, but I really doubt the output from the Moto phones is anything to write home about.

It's a nice looking piece of equipment, I'll give it that, but Moto's screen fonts and interface marks it better desired than used.

Nice Flash site, I like the Dashboard-style transitions.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

There, fixed that for you.

Ah, thanks. Stupid typos.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    RAZR v3i already available with iTunes:

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...0,,130,00.html
  • Reply 17 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frogmella

RAZR v3i already available with iTunes:

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...0,,130,00.html

So I would have to go to the grey market to get that phone with iTunes compatibility?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

So I would have to go to the grey market to get that phone with iTunes compatibility?

It could simply be an unlocked phone.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i think the phone looks really nice.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Still rather have one of these when my contract is next up for renewal in August - Sony Ericsson W810. Sure it won't play my iTMS files, but I can still bluetooth 256MB of tunes to it, so it can fill in the gaps when I don't want to take my 60Gb video with me. I just prefer the Sony Ericsson interface and find them far superior to use. As a bonus, I think it looks better than the Motorola effort.

256MB over bluetooth will take you about 3.7 hours to transfer. Tried that already on my SE P910i. Went out and bought a card reader the day after. ;-)

Apart from that though, you're spot on. The SE phones are faster, have a better interface and better music capabilities. Why anyone would want a Moto phone is beyond me.

There's also a utility program to integrate the SE Walkman phones directly into iTunes.