Microsoft proposes mobile phones as alternative to $100 laptop

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2606

Now, at first it might seem easy to reject this as so much MS balthering on...but...I actually think they might be 1/2-way onto something here.

Observations:

1. As computing power at smaller sizes increases

2. As wireless interconnectivity (bluetooth keyboards and mice) matures/grows

I can easily imagine a small iPod-like (size, cost) device that could plugin to a monitor, TV, and hook with wireless keyboards and mice to be your entire computer.

Now this isn't for power users...but I can see the technology trajectory taking us to that kind of place.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    How about that "handtop" idea Intel threw out there? Sounds interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Sounds interesting, I think that it would catch on faster in other countries before it did here though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The form factor is 'interesting", I guess, but I don't see it as a good fit for the original goal of providing computing for developing nations.

A small, cheap laptop with built in wireless and hand crank backup power means you can always use the entire system, distribution programs are simplified and carry high confidence that the end users will actually be able to do what the program is designed to empower them to do, repair, maintenance and parts inventories are simplified (and you don't have to worry about keeping all sorts of cables around), an AIO form factor allows you to ruggedize the whole thing, and a unitary platform encourages interoperability (within villages, say).

Cell phone based computing means extra parts, hit and miss functionality, possible (or probable) "platform drift" (wherein "everybody" might eventually have a cell phone but across varying types, unless you distribute cell phones via the same model as the cheap laptop idea, in which case, what's the point?), and much greater chance of down time due to cable and connector loss or failure (particularly true in the adverse environments such tech is envisioned as serving).

Bluetooth doesn't really help the cable situation, in this application, because the last thing you want is a bunch of parts that need batteries (I guess you could make a hand cranked mouse and keyboard, but....)

I think Gates is just trying to muddy the waters out of pique, and not seriously thinking through the requirements.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

The form factor is 'interesting", I guess, but I don't see it as a good fit for the original goal of providing computing for developing nations.

Definately. When was the last time you wrote a report on your phone or PDA? An connecting it to a low-rez TV and other accessories benefits and cheapens the process how?

The $100 laptop should be a $100 laptop.