IPod Nano Case

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Since my iPod died, I've pretty much decided to eventually replace it with an iPod Nano, since I probably only ever listen to 4 Gb of my music collection anyway.

Given the tendency of the iPod Nano to scratch, I want to buy a case before I buy the iPod Nano itself. I heard that the "case" that comes with the Nano is nothing but a cotton sock, which still scratches the slim music player.

Can anybody recommend a good, usable case that isn't so thick as to take away the Nano's slimness?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i was out to buy a case for my nano today at a local store. all they had to offer was plain white leather cases by belkin which look weird on a black nano. then i asked for a different color and they told me that they're out of stock but i could use mini cases too (these were pink or light blue).

i guess i'll have to order a case online...

btw. iskin cases tend to get dirty pretty fast and some smaller dirt always seems to get between case and ipod, so i wouldn't recommend these.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    I really like Agent 18 cases: thin, transparent hard shells. I've got one on a Mini and it's great: doesn't hide its good looks but protects it completely, including the back and the display. I haven't seen their nano case yet, but it's probably thinner than anything except those silicone sleeves.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've been using Apple's nano tubes for a while now and i really like them. The only problem I have is that they jive with the nano dock, so if I want to dock it I have to take the nano tube off. Same if I want to stick my nano in my armband.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I want to buy a case before I buy the iPod Nano itself.

To ultimately prevent it from scratching, you may want to consider buying only a case - and no iPod at all.

I mean, we (me too) need to realize that these iPods are disposable devices; even though they are expensive. They will scratch, but it won't affect their functionality (as music players, at least). It's not like you're gonna have it for more than two years before you will want to upgrade.

Now, we could put them inside a big, fluffy pillow and lock it away in a safe (where it would probably still scratch, ahh!) - but WTF is the point in owning it then, at all?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    the day my black ipod w/ video got it's first scratch, was the first day i was a little bit closer to freedom

but if you don't want scratches, those agent 18 cases seem to do the job.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by december

To ultimately prevent it from scratching, you may want to consider buying only a case - and no iPod at all.

I mean, we (me too) need to realize that these iPods are disposable devices; even though they are expensive. They will scratch, but it won't affect their functionality (as music players, at least). It's not like you're gonna have it for more than two years before you will want to upgrade.

Now, we could put them inside a big, fluffy pillow and lock it away in a safe (where it would probably still scratch, ahh!) - but WTF is the point in owning it then, at all?

Some Nano users complained about their screens being scratched so badly they had problems reading the output of the screen correctly.

There's no way I'm letting my screen scratch that badly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Back of my nano is pretty scuffed, but I'm not complaining. The screen is slightly marred with a few light scratches, only one of which impacts visibility.

The problematic one runs perfectly vertical with the LCD pixels and distorts the pixels below. Luckily its out of the way and is only hairline thin. If you had tons of these though I could see it impact legibility.

I remember when I scratched it too. I thought I was smart by putting it in my shirt pocket rather than my pants pocket, but when I pulled it out I nicked it against the snap on my shirt. Doh!

Oh well. I've gotten my money's worth out of the thing already and it beats my old mini all over town, so no complaints here.