Slow response time in certain scenarios (such as Save, Open)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
iMac G5, 1.5 GB Ram, 250GB HD (180GB Available).

I create a document, lets say a Word Document, and I go to Save, the beachball icon appears for a good 10 seconds.

I edit an image inside Photoshop and I go to Save, the beachball icon appears for a little longer maybe.

I'm using Messenger and I go to send file, the beach ball icon appears and I have to wait 5-10 secs before Finder shows my HD, Library etc.

Why the wait?

My iMac is generally very very fast and responsive yet it seems when I go to access the hard drive to save, open within a particular program it takes a long long time to load up, once it does though its very responsive and theres no trouble navigation through various folders etc.

Another example of the delay is when I go to add to Library within iTunes, this takes an age.

I'm guessing I shouldn't be waiting as long as I am, but maybe im wrong?

Any help guys would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    First thing to do is check the Energy Saver panel and see if hard drive sleep is on.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've run into this same problem, with the lag sometimes being more like 30 seconds. It doesn't have anything to do with hard drives being allowed to spin down. It's something that usually happens the very first time any particular app needs to bring up an open (or save) file dialog. Once a particular app has gone through this pause, it won't do it again unless you quit that app and start it again. Each app seems to have to go through with this long pause once after first being launched and just before the first open/save file dialog appears.

I'm wondering if this pause has something to do with some sort of initial scan of the file system which has to be done once per app to support standard file dialogs. If so, maybe the more files you have on your drives the worse it is. Just guessing. I've got a Quad 2.5 Power Mac, so sheer processing isn't helping out much here.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    it's your idisk, yes? try turning off auto-syncing and see what happens.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Nope, having iDisk set to Manual Sync still doesn't improve this.

I'm pretty unhappy with this. It's a very speedy computer with regards to doing all of the things which I ask it to do, but when saving, opening, adding to library, selecting a new display picture etc, its very slow.

Hard Drive isn't selected to go to sleep when possible either.

I appreciate the efforts so far guys, thanks. Any further suggestions would be great.

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Sorry, it seems that disabling iDisk syncing DOES work, not just simply setting it to manual.

Great help, very much appreciate it.

Once again, thanks guys!