Quicktime streaming problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

Mac Mini, 256 MB RAM, 10.3.9

Whenever I click on a link that has a Quicktime streaming video (Apple online seminars for example), I get the Quicktime Window, and inside, the Quicktime logo and a seeries of dots below it moving left and right (signifying that the system is connecting or something I assume).

This goes on forever and I never get to see the video, irrespective of however long i wait. Once I waited for over an hour just to see if anything happens, nothing!

I am on broadband, so bandwidth is not a problem. I only have this problem with Quicktime.

One thing I should mention is, I go to the Apple movie trailers site often, and have absolutely no problems viewing the trailers on Quicktime, this problem only seems to happen with Apple Online Seminars.

Has anyone come across something like this? Is there something I can try doing to resolve this issue?

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I don't know what's going on, but you are seriously RAM deficient. I have a mini, an tibook, and an old beige G3-- never experienced this, though I have much more RAM than you.

Have you played around with your Quicktime preferences? Particularly the "delay" when playing streamed stuff?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    No, I have not played around with any QT preferences. As I said, I have no problems playing movie trailoers, only Apple online seminars, so I do not know what preferences to set for that specifically.

And as for RAM deficiencies, I have liced with 256 megs for around a year now and am able to live with it till now.

I do not understand how the memory (or lack of it as you put it) is a problem in this particular case. Yes, things run much slower than I would like them to, yes, there is more disk swapping, but hey, it is an entry level machine, my first ever Mac just to test the waters so to speak, so I shall give it the benefit of doubt and consider myself happy with the platform.

As I said, QT cannot be the problem sice I am able to view movie trailers with absolutely no problems. It is something else, I am sure, I just don't know what, yet!

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'm no expert here either...

About the Quicktime preferences, though-- have you adjusted the buffer time in the Streaming preference of Quicktime? You may be able to increase/decrease the view time.

As for RAM, again, I'm no expert, but Macs are far more RAM-intensive than windows, as I know it. No affront intented, just experience... My mini is ok (actually I love it bigtime), but I often find that my 1Ghz TiBook is faster for some things because if has a faster graphics card and 2x the RAM.

In almost 10 years of Mac-only play, I'm just trying to help. Sorry if it's not enough.

--r
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Ricksbrain, it looks like I offended you. Please, that was not my intention, I apologise. I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

And no, I did not take offence about the lack of memory. I was merely wondering how the lack of memory could be the contributing factor in this case as QT seems to work fine except when on Apple's online seminars site. Sorry it came out like I was snapping at you, that was not the idea at all.

OK, now I have changed the QT setting. I slid the slider all the way to the right on the setting "Play videos immediately or after a short delay". That's the only thing I could find that looked like it has to do with the buffer. Let's see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again and cheers
  • Reply 5 of 5
    OK, further update:

Changing the slider to the right alone did not help, so I went again to the settings and clicked on "Transport", changed that from "Automatic" to "Custom", and changed UDP to HTTP and that solved the problem, I am now able to view streaming videos.

Thanks Ricksbrain!

Cheers