Microsoft steals yet another element from MacOSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://microsoftgadgets.com/

Dashboard for Vista!

Pathetic that a large company like Microsoft doesn't innovate anymore and just steals ideas. Not that Apple doesn't steal....they "borrowed" the Dashboard idea from [forgot the name. darn!] but I think Microsoft steals more because they're simply copying it from their competitors OS.

How long before MSLife 07 hits the street?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Flame deleted - JL
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Dashboard was stolen from Konfabulator.

iWork is a copy of MS Office.

It's not like whatever they "stole" was original to begin with...
  • Reply 3 of 67
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

There are applications which precede the ones you list. Very few ideas are truly "original"
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:

That would be wrong.

• Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That would be wrong.

Hehe...don't you just hate the computer n00bs that think Konfabulator is original?
  • Reply 6 of 67
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

• Reply 7 of 67
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Konfabulator was a rip off of Apples desktop widgets (with a different name) from back in the 80s

MS office was a ripoff of Lotus, Excel=123, exchange/outlook=notes

Windows was a rip-off of Mac which was a ripoff* of Xerox PARC

Linux is a ripoff of UN*X

the new iMac (g5, intel) styling is a ripoff of the Gateway Profile II from the late 90s, that, coincidentally was an attempt to rip off the iMac (g3), which was a ripoff in style of the original mac, which looked a lot like a dumb-terminal from the computer-as-big-as-your-house days.

These days and for a lot of the last 20 odd years, tech has just been a clusterfuck of copycats, but each copy leads to a little more innovation

*Apple had Xerox' blessing.

Also: the existance of TCP/IP in windows was a ripoff of Novell, and an effort by MS to kill IPX once and for all. which it has for the most part done (THANK GOD).
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

*Apple had Xerox' blessing.

A blessing for which Xerox was paid by Apple in the coin of the realm.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

A blessing for which Xerox was paid by Apple in the coin of the realm.

I was merely pointing out that in the whole list of copys, the Xerox thing was the only one where the original creator let it go.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

MS office was a ripoff of Lotus

And Lotus was a ripoff of Visicalc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visicalc
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

And Lotus was a ripoff of Visicalc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visicalc

I thought they were a rip off of something, I just couldnt think of what
  • Reply 12 of 67
    I don't know if you guys think you're debating me here, but to quote myself:

Quote:

There, I summed up this entire nit-picking thread in one sentence. Incredible.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    The point here is that M$ copies/mimics Apple. Always! If it weren't for Apple, there would have been no M$.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Counter-flame deleted - JL

The whole point is that Microsoft seems to mimic Apple's roadmap on the short term here. Of course everything is a rip-off from [insert name here]. That's not the point.

The question is why the dominant OS developer mimics the "small fish" when they're so big: they could spend much more on real innovation!
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

The point here is that M$ copies/mimics Apple. Always! If it weren't for Apple, there would have been no M$.

No, Microsoft got its start by providing the BASIC interpreter for the MITS Altair 8800 kit computer. This software was based on code that Bill Gates acquired by fishing paper tape from the trash at Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC).
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:

I don't know if you guys think you're debating me here, but to quote myself:

There, I summed up this entire nit-picking thread in one sentence. Incredible.

True, and if I may quote myself in an attempt to silence the "they copyed us!" flamewar:

Quote:

...for a lot of the last 20 odd years, tech has just been a clusterf**k of copycats...

Every tech gadget be it hardware or software is just a new spin on an old idea.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I see that when Windows has a nice feature, Mac users beg and beg and beg and then rejoice when it's featured in the next Mac OS X revision.

But oh no, none of the features of Mac OS X can ever be featured in XP! That would be stealing!
  • Reply 18 of 67
    This isn't about one company "copying" another - that happens all the time. What Microsoft constantly does, and is constantly mocked for is copying the concept, copying the name, implementing it in almost the exact same way - marketing it the same way, using the same colour schemes, all while blending it into their other ripped off products as if the idea was originally theirs.

What is so hilarious, is that they had a sidebar in the very early versions of Longhorn, and they didn't know what the hell to do with it. All they had was a clock and a calendar. The sidebar was eventually scrapped.

Along come Apple widgets - which aren't just widgets but a development platform. They put up a website about them and how to make them.

All of a suddent - here come "Gadgets" similar name, exact same concept, up goes the website, on and on and on.

The same thing happened with Exposé - Microsoft wants to demonstrate the graphics powers of Longhorn builds, and demonstrates their OS, with Windows "flying" around the screen - doing absolutely nothing productive "this is just a demonstration of the possibilities" they say.

A year or so later, Apple introduces Exposé, the biggest breakthrough for an operating system in terms of managing open windows.

"Flip 3D" is now in Vista. It's pretty pathetic too.

Meanwhile, MS flips out at the naming of "Lindows" and completely freaks out, suing them for "confusing consumers" They end up paying Lindows hundreds of millions to change their name.

Microsoft really doesn't have a clue about anything or what consumers want, and I would say are over-dependant on ripping off other ideas.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    That's the point. It isn't that they copy the concept in their own way; it's that they absolutely Xerox the whole thing, down to the colors, patterns and even the default images.

Of course, this is not surprising given that Gates ran around Redmond shrieking at the Windows team to "Make it like a Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaac!!! I want it to look like a Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac!!!" over and over after he saw the Mac 128K.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    funny thing is that "gadgets" was apple's original term for the dashboard-widgets (IIRC). i remember that there even has been some original documentation around when tiger was released, in which they still were referred to as "gadgets".