Would anybody want to buy this Powermac G5 and display?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am considering selling the following for $1700:

Hardware:

1.8GHz single-processor

(this is the first revision, so it has faster 900MHz system bus instead of the 600Mhz of the Rev.2)

1.5GB high-quality Crucial RAM

160GB SerialATA HD

Superdrive 4x

9800 Pro Mac Special Edition 256MB VRAM - hasn't been overclocked or abused

Airport Extreme installed

Software:

Mac OS X Tiger preinstalled

Adobe CS, Macromedia Suite 2004, and FCP2 preinstalled

Unreal Tournament 2004!

Display:

Apple Studio 17" display with no dead pixels

Peripherals:

Apple Keyboard

Logitech MX510 gaming mouse (red)

A spindle of CD media if you want it!

"All" (to the best of my ability) of the original disks and documentation.

I'm trying to net about $1700 for the whole deal, free shipping. I'll negotiate. This is a system in great condition, that hasn't been dropped as a child or subjected to extreme overclocking or anything shifty like that. Don't listen to what they tell you, PowerPC won't be dead for a while! Apple has always been great at sustaining support for all of their product lines, new and old.

And remember, there probably won't be an Intel Powermac (or "Mac Pro") for a quite a while.

I'm not yet completely sure that I'm going to go through, I wanted to test the waters first.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I am considering selling the following:

Hardware:

1.8GHz single-processor

(this is the first revision, so it has faster 900MHz system bus instead of the 600Mhz of the Rev.2)

1.5GB high-quality Crucial RAM

160GB SerialATA HD

Superdrive 4x

9800 Pro Mac Special Edition 256MB VRAM - hasn't been overclocked or abused

Airport Extreme installed

Software:

Mac OS X Tiger preinstalled

Adobe CS, Macromedia Suite 2004, and FCP2 preinstalled

Unreal Tournament 2004!

Display:

Apple Studio 17" display with no dead pixels

Peripherals:

Apple Keyboard

Logitech MX510 gaming mouse (red)

A spindle of CD media if you want it!

"All" (to the best of my ability) of the original disks and documentation.

I'm trying to net about $2200 for the whole deal, free shipping. I'll negotiate. This is a system in great condition, that hasn't been dropped as a child or subjected to extreme overclocking or anything shifty like that. Don't listen to what they tell you, PowerPC won't be dead for a while! Apple has always been great at sustaining support for all of their product lines, new and old.

And remember, there probably won't be an Intel Powermac (or "Mac Pro") for a quite a while.

I'm not yet completely sure that I'm going to go through, I wanted to test the waters first.

I'm not interested in buying, but I'm considering selling my G5 as well in favor of an Intel iMac (I just don't use the "PRO" apps that often).

I have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 PowerBook with the usual specs. what do you guys think it's worth (assuming I include a 17" Viewsonic monitor)? I'm hoping to get enough $1699 for the 20" iMac. Any opinions?

Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think you both must be pricing in Canadian dollars. There is not a chance in hell you would get those numbers for either machine.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 19
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 PowerBook with the usual specs.

Cool... I want that laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I think you both must be pricing in Canadian dollars. There is not a chance in hell you would get those numbers for either machine.

Nick

Macs have been known to get great second-hand prices simply because they don't obsolesce as fast as PC's, and don't stop being supported after two generations.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Macs have been known to get great second-hand prices simply because they don't obsolesce as fast as PC's, and don't stop being supported after two generations.

These days that's not entirely true.

It is true that they will continue to be good machines bare none but at the same time for what someone would buy that at they could buy a whole new machine with better performance.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

They weren't asking for great used prices. They were asking for better than new prices.

Why would anyone pay $2200 for a single processor G5 1.8 and some "evaluation" versions of software left installed when Apple will gladly sell them a refurb dual 2 ghz G5 with same size HD and Radeon 9600 for $1550 with free shipping and warranty?

The $650 difference would easily buy a new 17 LCD and not a used one with fading backlight and proprietary connector. The cost of the new LCD would likely not be more than $250 for a good quality LCD. A gig of ram is worth about $100. That leaves him $300 over the price of the better new/refurbished combo with better specs.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I'm not interested in buying, but I'm considering selling my G5 as well in favor of an Intel iMac (I just don't use the "PRO" apps that often).

I have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 PowerBook with the usual specs. what do you guys think it's worth (assuming I include a 17" Viewsonic monitor)? I'm hoping to get enough $1699 for the 20" iMac. Any opinions?

Thanks!

You'll probably get about $1550 including paying shipping.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

You'll probably get about $1550 including paying shipping.

Nick

That would be perfect. If anyone's interested, send me a message here.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    -
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

They weren't asking for great used prices. They were asking for better than new prices.

Why would anyone pay $2200 for a single processor G5 1.8 and some "evaluation" versions of software left installed when Apple will gladly sell them a refurb dual 2 ghz G5 with same size HD and Radeon 9600 for $1550 with free shipping and warranty?

The $650 difference would easily buy a new 17 LCD and not a used one with fading backlight and proprietary connector. The cost of the new LCD would likely not be more than $250 for a good quality LCD. A gig of ram is worth about $100. That leaves him $300 over the price of the better new/refurbished combo with better specs.

Nick

Alright, #1, I bought the software, hardware, and display for about $3500.

#2, the software is academic license, but legal and full-version.

#3, I've added a new graphics card, RAM, and Airport card.

#4, stop being a dick.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Alright, #1, I bought the software, hardware, and display for about $3500.

That's nice. My friend once paid $3500 for 32 megs of RAM and I had to buy my 1541 floppy drive for $400. What you paid in the past has no bearing on the fair market value.

Quote:

#2, the software is academic license, but legal and full-version.

Then you are only authorized to transfer it to someone of the same status. Are you honestly claiming you are only advertising the computer at that price to students and at another price for other parties? Preinstalled is often code for "copies being left on for you to evaluate and use but buy your own."

Quote:

#3, I've added a new graphics card, RAM, and Airport card.

The graphics card is already obsolete. The RAM is worth $100. The Airport card is about $50. None of those explain why your asking price is hundreds above Apple's price for a newer machine, with warrenty and free shipping.

Quote:

#4, stop being a dick.

Call me any name you want. No one is going to give you that amount of money for that machine. Getting pissed off at me won't change that fact.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a rev A dual 2 GHz G5 with 9800 Pro and 2.5 GB of RAM. If I sold it with my 20" Cinema Display I wouldn't even expect to get what you're asking!

And do you have AppleCare for the gear?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I wasn't insisting on $2200, I was starting at that so we could bid down from there until somebody finds it appealing.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Too bad I'm poor and don't like gaming, I'd buy it otherwise.

PowerMacs are sexy thangs, but I think an iMac would be a better fit for me.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Nick

Canadian Dollars are kicking butt right now. . . 0.89 cents to the can-dollar. I wouldn't otherwise know this, but there's a five minute radio program called "canada calling" down here. It's supposed to appeal to the snowbirds from Canada, but it's mildly interesting to listen to, plus the newsman sounds kind of like Dan Akroyd.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

Too bad I'm poor and don't like gaming, I'd buy it otherwise.

PowerMacs are sexy thangs, but I think an iMac would be a better fit for me.

What's your best price? Perhaps we can work a deal.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

I wasn't insisting on $2200, I was starting at that so we could bid down from there until somebody finds it appealing.

If you're lucky you'll get $1500-1600 for the entire rig. Although you should list it on Craigslist and see what offers you get.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    That's simply a fine price. I'm not being snobby, I was just unsure of what it should go for.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Anybody?