Virus protection / hard drive maintenance

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Are they necessary for Macs. I''ve never had one before but i keep getting crap sent to me and i'm getting parnoid even though i know they are windows virus'

how about hard drive maintenance? which is best with OS X? norton, disk warrior, tech tools pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Norton, without a doubt.

Contrary to popular belief, there are some Mac viruses still out there, particularly worms, mostly OS9 or before.

I can only see one problem with OSX, being Unix based, It'll only be a matter of time before some Unix nut will try an assault on our new OS.

As for disk maintenance, can't hurt, some good value bundles available at the moment, ie:Norton systemworks+Firewall.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Mac OS X's UNIX roots mean that almost all new UNIX viruses can run on it. This is unlike the old Mac situation, in which virus writerrs hardly bothered - there were too many Wintel machines to take advantage of!

I'm going to buy Norton SystemWorks 3 or whatever - the next fully functional OS X version of the Norton Utilities and Norton AntiVirus. I've heard that the current one doesn't work too well.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Norton should get any viruses that affect X apps (probably MS releated ones).

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: alfredh ]</p>