Prices... Still... The... Same!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With the new Intel Macs prices are still nuts! Dell, offers their Dell Inspiron E1705 Core Duo 1.66GHz 17" Widescreen Notebook for $1,149 (edited initial price). Apply coupon code "7ZKZLCCV0HJJD7" and the price falls to $1,049.

Specs: Intel Core Duo T2300 1.66GHz 667MHz FSB processor, 17" 1440x900 widescreen LCD, 512MB dual channel DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB 5400 rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive, 8x dual layer DVD burner, 802.11g wireless.

Apple's same cpu:

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution

1.67GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache

667MHz frontside bus

512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

As you can see a smaller screen (same rez), Same CPU, Same FSB, Same ram, (add 35 for same harddrive), same burner... to get the graphics cards comparable you need to select the NVidia 7800 go 256mb (only option besides intels on board graphics) for 299. On apple's you get iSight, front row, bluetooth built in. Add another 50 to dell's for bluetooth.

So with the price updates we have 1400 vs 2000 (roughly).

600 dollar difference eh? hrm...

What do you think about this? 600 worth it to use os x?

My opinion is yes. But I still feel very burnt in the fact that my hardware is exactly the same yet I pay 600 more for it. Wow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    It sucks muchly. I'm hoping after the full transition it will improve.

Currently a Dell priced 'Powerbook' would mess up iBook pricing. Similarly a cheaper iMac would look odd against a Mini.

So maybe things will improve, or maybe Apple will be Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I feel the imac and mini are almost where they should be... Perhaps 100 cheaper? Perhaps not. However! The mac book pro is absolutely insane right now. Say the iBook single core comes out at around 1200. That would be an 800 dollar difference between the iBook and lowest duo core Mac book pro... Would you get what you paid for? I think what most mac users do when purchasing is completely pretend those magic numbers next to the machine don't represent money... and represent speed of the computer!

• Reply 3 of 70
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm sorry emig, but the price you quoted is specifically for the single core system. I just looked and found that to be the case.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=E1705S1&s=dhs

I found that bumping the hard drive to 80GB, upgrading the video and bluetooth dropped the difference to ~$460.

The only rationale I can offer is that Apple offers this setup in a much thinner machine. To some the price difference isn't woth it but, as you said, to others it's more than worth it to be using OSX
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I'm sorry emig, but the price you quoted is specifically for the single core system. I just looked and found that to be the case.

I just configured a system as close as I could to the MacBook and it came to $1985. Sure, it wasn't exact, and I did choose a 17in widescreen rather than the PowerBooks 15in, but the gap isn't quite as big as you think by the time you add in Bluetooth etc. I didn't even tick the box for Microsoft Office and Windows XP, which arguably (especially the latter) are included on MacBooks. If you include those upgrades, the prices are very similar indeed.

Edit - I made it close to the spec of the top MacBook Pro btw.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

If you read my post closely you would notice that I put: Apply coupon code "7ZKZLCCV0HJJD7" and the price falls to $1,049.

I do need to edit the initial price first though. And just so you don't think i'm completely nuts... here is an image:

And just to prove i'm not FURTHER nuts:

Link to Duo Core Dell

Keep in mind to use the coupon code to subtract 100 dollars.

What else did you add besides bluetooth and the NVidia 7800 Go to make it closer? I suppose the harddrive upgrade for 35 dollars?
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Thanks for the clarification, you are indeed correct.

ps - regardless, I still believe you're nuts
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Sure, I still hear what you are saying, and agree entirely. You do get Mac OSX, a better designed laptop, bluetooth etc though. Sure Apple are still over priced, but it's not quite as bad as your first post makes out. Interesting to see if there will be any spec or price changes to the 15in when the 17in is popped onto the store.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Much as we'd love to prove Apple isn't more expensive than other vendors, Evesham Micro has a much cheaper core duo laptop too.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    In Apple's 1 defense... (I'll get flamed for this I know it)...

I actually feel their case is better than the rest. Sure it gives you 2nd degree burns when you use it, but its stronger (besides the thinkpad's titanium case), prettier and more heat dispensing. But I still feel thats way too much money for a case =P. And I still stand by my original quote +/- 35 for the harddrive both being 80gb.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    I just noticed that Dell is using DDR2-533 RAM vs. Apple's use of DDR2-667 RAM.

Bumping the RAM to match that which Apple uses bumps the price up a bit as well. A small difference to be sure, but it's there.

You also have to add the remote to the Dell since the Macbook ships with one for Front Row .
  • Reply 11 of 70
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Does the Dell have Dual Link DVI?
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Does the Dell have Dual Link DVI?

That will depend on the graphics card option, no?
  • Reply 13 of 70
    It's not really a secret -- Apple wants margins. Tooling around with price/specs/features won't change that.

Apple's margins are typically over 20% versus the industry average of 6-11%.

People often excuse the extra cost for OSX or this or that, but the bottom line is the bottom line. The Dell and Mac could be identical twins out of the same factory, and Apple will still decidedly charge more.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think the MacBook prices will come down in time. For now they're inflated for early adopters and to help recoup R&D costs. The G5 PowerBook never went anywhere and Apple's gotta make some money back somehow!

Sure I'd like cheap-o Macs, but I prefer feature-rich macs more.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Apple doesn't compete with Dell on price. Apple won't compete with Dell on price. Apple can't compete with Dell on price.

This is news?

Dell is a parts assembler whose entire contribution (if you can call it that) to the industry is to figure out how to cut costs and price accordingly.

Nothing wrong with that, but demanding that Apple offer "the same" hardware for the same price is silly. Fit and finish, industrial design, iLife and other software, small amenities like the magnetic power cord and lighted keyboard, etc. more than justify a few hundred dollars pricing differential.

If anything, I'm surprised Apple has drawn so close to PC commodity pricing.

Dell also offers bargain priced plasma displays. Does that mean Panasonic is doing something wrong?
  • Reply 16 of 70
    I just want to point out that I'm not saying the prices should be the same. I'm simply stating that apple's prices have not changed, even though the price of hardware should have gone down. Don't you think they should be at least a few hundred cheaper?

And to the person that brought up front row... are you kidding me? Is that even necessary? Sure it would be cool for presentations... but come on... it should definitely be BTO.

In no way should apple have the same prices as dell... I was never incinuating (spell?) that the prices should be the same. I was just showing that the hardware is cheaper now... obviously dell isn't losing money on that machine. So whats up with the big price difference. I"d expect at least 100-200 off. Hell I don't even really care cause I have a hardware discount every year... but still... I think apple uses 2500 and 2000 too losely. Its like a magic number.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I'm simply stating that apple's prices have not changed, even though the price of hardware should have gone down. Don't you think they should be at least a few hundred cheaper?

Why do you assume this? I have no idea what Apple's component costs are, but I think I'd be a little surprised that a CPU change would result in a "few hundred dollar" difference in the retail price of the machine.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Its not just the cpu that changed, the motherboard and graphics cards changed as well. No longer do Big endian firmware / drivers have to be written for the graphics cards. No longer does apple develop their motherboards (intel does, which are usually priced cheap), and now they are buying cpu's from one of the biggest cpu suppliers in the world.

True I don't have the #'s to support that, but its obvious. The #'s that support that theory are given to us from dell.. one of the cheapest suppliers on the market. They show the #'s for the core duo motherboard and cpu... they show how cheap it CAN be. Obviously other things come into play like the aluminum case, the bluetooth, the mag-safe ac adapter... but it shows the hardware is cheaper. As nowayout stated
    Quote:

Apple's margins are typically over 20% versus the industry average of 6-11%.

... Its just how it is.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

With the new Intel Macs prices are still nuts! Dell, offers their Dell Inspiron E1705 Core Duo 1.66GHz 17" Widescreen Notebook for $1,049. Apply coupon code "7ZKZLCCV0HJJD7" and the price falls to $1,049.

Hmm, the list price on the Dell Inspiron E1705 is $2456. That's a pretty good sale price you're getting: $1400 off.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Hmm, the list price on the Dell Inspiron E1705 is $2456. That's a pretty good sale price you're getting: $1400 off.

Did you not follow the link at the 6th post (with the included image)???

I don't know where you're seeing that list price... so I don't know what config you're looking at... but as you can see from the post above... it is in deed 1149 with a 17" display for a 1.66ghz core duo.