New iMac....file transfer advice?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a new iMac G5, 20". Id appreciate advice regarding the transfer of information from my old 733 Power Mac with OSX 10.3.9. The user's guide that came with the iMac suggests two methods that sound appealing--Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. Both use Firewire. The Setup Assistant is to be used when you first start up the new computer. Migration Assistant can be used any time.

I'm between a novice-moderate level in terms of computer skills. I'm inclined to use the Setup Assistant from the get-go and be done with it. With the complexity of OSX I would rather not have to transfer manually. (Back in the day you essentially copied and installed your documents folder on the new computer. At least that worked for my humble needs.)

Thank you for listening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you use the Setup Assistant it should leave your old mac's files alone, so you can always run the operation again. I've used it on several machines whose owners are at varying user levels and it has always worked flawlessly.

I'd say give it the Setup Assistant a shot and if it doesn't work out you can move on to plan B.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thank you, Xool. Thats what I was hoping Id hear. I guess in Tiger they no longer have a separate Setup and Migration Assistant??its now just Migration Assist. which can be used at setup stage as well as later on.

This info reduces my stress level a great deal. Now I can focus on just enjoying the new computer!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by reynard

Thank you, Xool. Thats what I was hoping Id hear. I guess in Tiger they no longer have a separate Setup and Migration Assistant??its now just Migration Assist. which can be used at setup stage as well as later on.

This info reduces my stress level a great deal. Now I can focus on just enjoying the new computer!

I recently moved all my stuff over from a G4 to a 17" G5. I tried doing migration assistant, but to no avail. For some reason the computer just wouldn't show my files. It turned out okay anyway because Target Disk mode will let you drag and drop what you want. It's a bit more complex and takes a little more time, but it worked just fine for me, took me the better part of a day to move everything over, reinstall programs, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Set up assistant worked fine for me--

I still had to reinstall Office--which by the way is a bit buggy with the Intel Mac

I did have problems with iTunes--moving the music files is a bit of a pain, but it can be done.

If you do move the music files, you should deauthorize your itunes first, I guess.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

Set up assistant worked fine for me--

I still had to reinstall Office--which by the way is a bit buggy with the Intel Mac

I did have problems with iTunes--moving the music files is a bit of a pain, but it can be done.

If you do move the music files, you should deauthorize your itunes first, I guess.

I've found the easiest way to move iTunes is copy the .xml file, the library data file and the music library folder all straight to the iTunes folder on the new computer. You'll have to authorize the new computer to play the music you've bought from iTMS. What problems did you have moving iTunes over?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Hey guys -- make sure you repair permissions immediately after migrating. That will solve a lot of problems.

(boot off the install disk and use disk utility --immediately after the transfer)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    oh oh. I did the transfer this evening--without checking back here first--and I did not repair permissions upon the completion. Fortunately, all seems well. I did have a glitch with iPhoto. The images did not show. They made the transfer and I could see them and view them via the iPhoto Library. But just blank boxes were displayed where the photos should have been in the iPhoto app. I thought getting a software update might help and it did. I think the key item there was an update of Tiger from 10.4.2 to 10.4.4 Anyway, its working and all else seems to be in place and operable.

Thanks again for the tip, Xool. I just followed the instructions from the moment I turned on the iMac, took a little nap, and it was all there an hour or so later. And my new iMac G5 has been putting a smile on my face! The good thing about not upgrading for 5 years or so is that you really see an improvement with new technology. OSX was just too much for my 733Mg Power Mac.

Oh, one problem...but not caused by the transfer. My little Samsung 1710 laser printer doesnt work. I havent yet found a driver for 10.4 but I'll continue looking. I hope Macs get enough market share now to make it worth companys' times to write and update decent drivers for peripherals. Finally, the printer utility is just as awkard as it was in 10.1

Maybe I'll repair permissions tomorrow too, just to be safe. Goodnight.