Pop up killer?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for a pop up stopper for my Mac. My browser that I use exclusively is Opera 5. I have used WebWasher before but it didn't work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Mozilla can block pop-ups automatically.

OmniWeb can block pop-ups automatically.

Chimera can block pop-ups automatically.

Mac OS X solution? Pick one of the above.

Mac OS 9.x solution? Well, hmmm, <a href="ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest-1.0.0/"; target="_blank">Mozilla</a> is still an option, especially since some say it is actually faster than Opera.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    steelwolfsteelwolf Posts: 34member
    A simple way to stop pop ups in your browser is to disable JavaScript... but, this disables quite a few other things, like intrinsic web elements (That is, user defiined and interactive JavaScript based material.)

Another software alternative is <a href="http://www.icab.de/"; target="_blank">iCab</a>... Mac OS X and 9.x compatible. Mozilla is also quite nice.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I've never tried this but...

In Explorer you can set how many maximum number of windows can be open at one time. If you set it to 1 I guess pop-ups will not be allowed to, well, pop-up.

I knew Chimera had anti-pop up (using it now) didnt know about Moz and Omni
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>I've never tried this but...

In Explorer you can set how many maximum number of windows can be open at one time. If you set it to 1 I guess pop-ups will not be allowed to, well, pop-up.

I knew Chimera had anti-pop up (using it now) didnt know about Moz and Omni</strong><hr></blockquote>

Zo, how do you do this in IE? I can't seem to find the option - although it's possible that it's buried about five layers down, like most MS options.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmmm in Preferences, go to Advanced, you see "Max Number of Connections" Default is 4. But I dunno if its regarding downloads (max number of simultaneous downloads).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Nope, max number of connections is just what it says: the max number of connections the browser can open. In other words, if it's set to 1 you can only download one item at a time. Besides that, you can't even set it below 4.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hmm, I may just switch to iCab, Chimera, or OmniWeb. I've used iCab before and I like it... I'll just try all of them. Thanks for the advice.

I hope Opera integrates pop up filtering soon, because it's the best browser I've used so far. [edit]However, I have been having problems with it not spacing certain websites that have two separate columns but not frames (like eBay, with the little left sidebar and the main part, is divided in half instead of about 1:6)[/edit]

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    the thing with a Pop-up blocker for Explorer and the such is that it would have to patch Explorer itself.

In windows you have access to many of the dll files and whatnot and so its possible. I dont think it would be possible for a 3rd party app to stop popups in another app in MacOS

Starfleet, thanks for the clarification...