Turning off iPod dock remote function

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got a new iMac and the remote for frontrow is also controlling the iPod via the dock. How can i stop this from happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    You need to "pair" the remote to the iMac so it only controls the iMac. The remotes for the iPod are apparently the same as the iMac remotes - I just got one for my iPod dock and the instruction booklet contains information on how to pair it with the dock.

A quick search on Apple's support site got me to this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302545
  • Reply 2 of 7
    funny:

Quote:

1. Invade your iMac's personal space by getting up close to it (about 3 or 4 inches away).

• Reply 3 of 7
    Well I tried that and it does pair the remote to the iMac so that no other remote will control the iMac but the remote will still control the dock.

This is highly annoying and I can not find any solution, how could apple overlook this?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Make sure that when you pair the remote to the iMac that the dock is not in range. I would suggest moving the dock to another room, as far away as you can, then try pairing the remote with the iMac again.

In my booklet for the dock remote, there's a note:

You may want to pair your other Apple remote-compatible devices with other remotes, so your dock remote doesn't affect those devices. See the documentation that came with the other devices for instructions.

...so there must be some mention of this in your iMac/remote documentation.

P.S. - Ahh, you're from BC. So am I!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I tried removing the dock to another room and it still did not work. I thought about pairing another remote to the dock but I dont have another remote. Is there some way to configure the dock that I am missing?

P.S. I am van isle where are you?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    This is a wild stab in the dark, but try pairing the remote to the dock, then do the steps to pair the remote to the iMac. I'm just curious to know if one will cancel the other out.

To pair to the dock: Place your iPod in the dock and power it on, remove your iMac from the area (power it down). Hold the remote as close as possible to the dock (within 3-4 inches), press and hold the Menu button and the next/fast-forward button on the remote for about 6 seconds.

Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

P.S. I am van isle where are you?

Kelowna.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I called apple today and they said it was a "known issue" and the solution is to turn the dock away, and put tape over it.

So there is no solution other then apple coming out with some fix somehow.