Number of library songs different from ipod songs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In my iTunes library, it shows that I have 1,249 songs and I just finished updating my iPod and it shows that it has 1,244 songs. I went back to my library to see if maybe some of my songs were unchecked but they are all checked so they should all automatically load to my ipod. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You probably have 5 songs that aren't actually the correct format for the iPod but which iTunes plays. For instance .mp4 audio files will work in iTunes but it needs to be .m4a for the iPod.

Otherwise you might have a couple radio streams or something.

For me it is normally the other way around. iTunes loves to make duplicates on an iPod and given Show duplicates doesn't work on an iPod this can be incredibly frustrating.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You probably have 5 songs that aren't actually the correct format for the iPod but which iTunes plays. For instance .mp4 audio files will work in iTunes but it needs to be .m4a for the iPod.

Otherwise you might have a couple radio streams or something.

For me it is normally the other way around. iTunes loves to make duplicates on an iPod and given Show duplicates doesn't work on an iPod this can be incredibly frustrating.

What's the easiest way to find out which files are not .m4a?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    No idea. You just have to find what songs are missing then take a look at them. Don't think there is a quick method.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You can add a "File Type" column on iTunes, would that help? Hopefully it would distinguish between .mp4 and .m4a files?

On a related note, I kind of have the opposite problem. A while ago I subscribed to a few podcasts, synced them to my iPod. I deleted them in iTunes but they're still there on my iPod! The files are not on my Mac (I've checked using Spotlight). Not a show-stopper but irritating. Any ideas?

Cheers,

--> Stephen
  • Reply 5 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    One thing that will throw off the song count between iTunes and your iPod: PDF files.

When you buy an album from the iTunes Music Store which comes with a "digital booklet", that gets counted as one "song" in your library, but never gets transferred to your iPod.