Upgrade questions for G3 B&W

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, I have some questions for you guys. I'm fully upgrading my old G3 B&W. I would like to upgrade the processor from 350 mhz to a 1ghz. I found a upgrade processor on www.macsales.com its the PowerLogix PowerForce ZIF G3 I ghz. I would like to know if you think this is a good processor for regular everyday use. I also have a question about a piece of USB hardware I seen, but I forgot the name of it. Its a USB/Firewire port that mounts to the front of the computer through on of the Rom Drives doors. Have any one of you guys seen this before, if so let me know.

Here the full website address for the processor.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PowerLogix/PFZGX10001M/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by appleman76

Hey, I have some questions for you guys. I'm fully upgrading my old G3 B&W. I would like to upgrade the processor from 350 mhz to a 1ghz. I found a upgrade processor on www.macsales.com its the PowerLogix PowerForce ZIF G3 I ghz. I would like to know if you think this is a good processor for regular everyday use. I also have a question about a piece of USB hardware I seen, but I forgot the name of it. Its a USB/Firewire port that mounts to the front of the computer through on of the Rom Drives doors. Have any one of you guys seen this before, if so let me know.

I would upgrade your ram to 1Gb first.

I recomend RamDirect.

I have a Sonnet G4 500mhz ZIF upgrade it works well. The G3 should be fine unless you do lots of photoshop work or games that are helped by G4 Altivec technology.

I have not seen the other item you talked about.

I also have an Acard PCI ATA 133 card with a 250Gb Seagate HDD. I reccomend them as well since the origional ATA bus is only 33 and the origional HDDs are slow too. Good luck!

AquaMac
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks for the reply AquaMac. I'm planning on upgrading the processor to a 1.0 GHz, the memory to 512mb or 1gb and the video to a 64 or a 128 mb card. I was looking into the sonnet processor ($349)compared to the prices the powerlogix processors ($199) are better. Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate the advice.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I hope that you understand that you are spendning the money on a hobby not on a resonable upgrade path.

CPU 200 dollar and then ATI 9200 136 dollar and 70 more for the RAM. Totaling 400 dollar. Very close in price to the minimac and still no DVD/CD burner and no USB2 and no support for harddisks bigger than 128 GB and no AGP.

A 1 GHz G3 will be far faster then a 500 MHz G4 in everything nonAltiVec and keep up well also in the altivec stuff.

The ATI 9200 is a waste of money unless you want to run games and then the 9200 is a to weak card anyway.

So either be satisfied with a CPU and perhaps some RAM, but if you also need a better GPU and a burner and much bigger HDs get a mini.

The B&W is allredy stuck at 10.3 and it will continoue to slip behind. Yes is was a dream machine when it came out insanly fast and fantastic design, but that was in the previous decade...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks for the informatio DrBoar. I'am going to be using ebay for most of the hardware upgrades the only full price piece of hardwware I will buy will be the CPU. Otherwise I'm trying to keep it a little cheaper then buying everything at full price.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

I hope that you understand that you are spendning the money on a hobby not on a resonable upgrade path.

The B&W is allredy stuck at 10.3 and it will continoue to slip behind. Yes is was a dream machine when it came out insanly fast and fantastic design, but that was in the previous decade...

I agree. You could probably pick up a used mini on ebay for almost the same price and save tons of time. It'd have even faster components and a far higher resale value when you decide its time to move on.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

The B&W is already stuck at 10.3

from apple-history.com:

Quote:

Input/Output

USB: 2

Firewire: 2

Audio Out: stereo 16 bit mini

Audio In: stereo 16 bit mini

Speaker: mono

Miscellaneous

Codename: Yosemite

Gestalt ID: 406

Power: 200 Watts

Dimensions: 17" H x 8.9" W x 18.4" D

Weight: 28.7 lbs.

Minimum OS: 8.5.1

Maximum OS: 10.4.5

Introduced: January 1999

Terminated: September 1999

• Reply 7 of 7
    I guess your right, I should just live it alone becuase I already own a mini, and a ibook G3 anyway. Thanks