2nd OSX install disk empty?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My new intel iMac is great but I noticed the 2nd install disk only has one document on it. What's the disk for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

My new intel iMac is great but I noticed the 2nd install disk only has one document on it. What's the disk for?

What is the file though? Is it a disk image or something? Although it may appear to only be one file, it may contain many applications etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The disk appears only to contain an .rtf file called "Installing Mac OS X and Applications". The info about the file = 420k and the DVD is 7.7GB used. Is the rest hidden or am I missing something?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I believe because it's the second install disk that you can't see the files because they are just there to be installed after the OS X installer tells you to insert disk 2. Does the .rtf (rich text format, by the way, just a text file) say anything along these lines?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The PowerPC version of the Discs are like this too. There are hidden folders on the second disc.

On the 2nd disc is where the installers for iLife, iWork and other programs. They are in a hidden folder.