Apple now offers global warranty on all computer systems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week expanded its global warranty coverage to its entire computer system matrix, AppleInsider has been told.

Previously available only for iPods and portable computers, Apple told service providers on Sunday that it will now provide global service coverage for all Apple desktop computers, servers, and displays that are under warranty.

This means customers who purchase an Apple system or display in the US can have that product serviced for warranty repairs should they travel with the product to regions such as Europe or Asia.

The global service coverage also applies to Apple extended service contracts such as the AppleCare Protection Plan, AppleCare Repair Agreement, AppleCare Parts Agreement, and AppleCare Premium Service and Support for Xserve and Xserve RAID.

Customers who seek service in a country other than the country in which the covered product was purchased will have regional-regulated parts replaced with an equivalent, regional-specific part, the company noted. As an example, Apple said if a system purchased in the US. is taken to Japan and the AirPort Card is defective, it will be replaced with a Japanese AirMac Card.

As always, Apple suggests that customers follow local importation laws when transporting computers into countries other than those in which they were purchased.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Unless you're in Florida, in which case you're still screwed
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Does this mean those over-expensive bastards at the authorised Apple reseller will have to fix my iMac i plan to buy in the US in April if it breaks down?

We have no official Apple store in Serbia but the head of Apple for Europe was at the opening of this store so i guess this was official.

That means i would be able to buy a CoreDuo iMac for 1499 instead of 1700 it would cost me to get the old iMac G5 here.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sworthy

Unless you're in Florida, in which case you're still screwed

I believe that problem was straightened out.

This is actually very good news. I wish camera companies would do this, instead of having a world wide warrantee that works everywhere EXCEPT the US.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I thought they already did. 4 years ago, the logic board in my iBook die while I was in Hong Kong. I took it in and they fixed it free of charge. Maybe there was something else going on. I was pretty happy about that though.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    this is great news. Last year i bought Dual 2.7Ghz and over time i loaded it with extra 4gb ram , new 150gb Raptor drive. Next year i'm moving to Europe and i was quite dissapointed that i would have to sell it. Now all i have to do before May , is buy AppleCare.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Brilliant news and one I expect to be Marketed frequently before they release any future Enterprise level products.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I guess I'll ask my question in this thread.

I don't know the process of the whole Applecare thing. I bought my 15 inch pbook in june of last year and bought applecare in december. I installed the program and all that, but I don't remember whether or not I registered it. It's currently installed on my computer and all that, with the latest version running. Do I need to register the product with Apple?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Knee Of Justice

I don't know the process of the whole Applecare thing. I bought my 15 inch pbook in june of last year and bought applecare in december. I installed the program and all that, but I don't remember whether or not I registered it. It's currently installed on my computer and all that, with the latest version running. Do I need to register the product with Apple?

I don't have it, but if you have to register it, it will have something about that in the program, usually somewhere in the prefs.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    preferences are grayed out in this program.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

preferences are grayed out in this program.

well, the only other thing I can think of is that it's registered by the sale itself.

Why don't you give them a call?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

GO TO http://www.apple.com/support/

look on the right hand side somewhere for "To find out how many days remain on your warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan, please enter your serial number below:"

if you registered your AppleCare properly it should say your warranty is covered until June 2008.

if not, you can still register your AppleCare (check with your local Apple dealer or Apple store) with your AppleCare box and AppleCare purchase receipt.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quevar

I thought they already did. 4 years ago, the logic board in my iBook die while I was in Hong Kong. I took it in and they fixed it free of charge. Maybe there was something else going on. I was pretty happy about that though.

the global warranty used to apply to iPods and iBook, PowerBook. now it appears it will apply to DESKTOPS as well...! this should be great peace of mind and hopefully help fuel sales of Mac Mini and iMac as well...!!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer this week expanded its global warranty coverage to its entire computer system matrix, AppleInsider has been told.

Kasper and moderators, and others, how do we get written verification from Apple about this? This would be very important before we rush out and buy Mac Minis and iMacs and PowerMacs because we plan to travel soon............ Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Importation laws?

Uh-oh. What the @#$@ am I going to be in trouble for now?

Let's see...

Got my Powerbook in... late September of 2004, I think.

November of 2004, took it to India, transiting Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan.

September of 2005, took it to Austria and Italy, transiting England. (Nice Apple store they've got in London.)

November of 2005, took it to Uganda, Kenya (Highly recommend the authorized Mac reseller/repair place in Nairobi!), and Canada.

January of 2006, took it to France. (Nice-looking Mac reseller near Cambronne station)

Taking it to Mexico in a few weeks.

Adding in domestic travel, this 'book has flown over 100,000 miles with me in its first 18 months...

What are these "importation laws"?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Kasper and moderators, and others, how do we get written verification from Apple about this? This would be very important before we rush out and buy Mac Minis and iMacs and PowerMacs because we plan to travel soon............ Thanks

Well, I see you've changed your address again.

Too lonely out there?
  • Reply 16 of 19
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by danbirchall

Importation laws?

usually for a personal laptop most customs people let it go... they just assume you bought it in your "home country".

but if its obvious you bought a new laptop from another country, when you return to your home country and you say its for business, you can get taxed. well, it happened to me because i was too honest and declared the laptop when travelling from malaysia back to australia.

so for desktops i wonder what customs procedures will be like, ie, importation laws and how strictly they may be enforced
  • Reply 18 of 19
    hi dan, you mentioned a mac reseller/repair shop in nairobi. could you kindly provide me with more information on the name, location, contacts for this shop-- anything! would be a huge help! my ipod went kaput (ipod w/ a sad face icon) and my computer won't even recognize it. life isn't the same w/o my tunes! many thanks, kelly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danbirchall View Post

Importation laws?

Uh-oh. What the @#$@ am I going to be in trouble for now?

Let's see...

Got my Powerbook in... late September of 2004, I think.

November of 2004, took it to India, transiting Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan.

September of 2005, took it to Austria and Italy, transiting England. (Nice Apple store they've got in London.)

November of 2005, took it to Uganda, Kenya (Highly recommend the authorized Mac reseller/repair place in Nairobi!), and Canada.

January of 2006, took it to France. (Nice-looking Mac reseller near Cambronne station)

Taking it to Mexico in a few weeks.

Adding in domestic travel, this 'book has flown over 100,000 miles with me in its first 18 months...

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

News to me!

I also thought this has long been an Apple policy, one of their good ones.

Years ago I purchased a couple of Macs from the States and they were serviced locally without problem under warranty.

Now if only they had the confidence in their own quality to offer a standard 3 year warranty.