imac intel dead already

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
had it since the 20th...blinking 'earth' on startup. pah. looks like the HD kicked the bucket already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Blinking Earth means its trying to NetBoot, should kick over to your internal drive after it doesn't find it... hmm. Try turning it off then back on and hold down option then select your hard drive when it comes up.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    ha, tried booting from a full firewire disk backup i did a week ago....booted to the error below....

error (while booting from firewire drive):

world (while booting from imac drive):

• Reply 3 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OK, next is to boot from the DVD and run Disk Utility.

Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    If you hold option does your drive show up?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    i got it back, lord knows how it went to net boot then came back. its working now after several restarts, go figure. feels like a windows machine after that nightmare.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Go into System Prefs / Startup and reselect your internal HD as the startup volume and then click "restart"
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

ha, tried booting from a full firewire disk backup i did a week ago....booted to the error below....

Apparently, there's some hoops you've got to jump through to make a FW drive bootale with a Mactel. There's no way one will boot from a FW drive formatted & installed from a PPC machine.

Article at OS X Hints.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    i did a full disk image from my intel mac, not ppc.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

i did a full disk image from my intel mac, not ppc.

The disk image doesn't matter if the partitioning isn't in the Intel format.

Also, it's a good idea to test any bootable backups *before* the machine goes south.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    well, no idea where the gremlin came from but its back to working fine, reboots and all.

yeah, its interesting to note the backup image doesn't boot. this is the same way i used to backup my PPC macs, but it no longer works. bummer.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Looking good

I'm almost foaming at the mouth waiting on mine being delievered